what year swing arms can i use for my GS550ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what year swing arms can i use for my GS550ES

I was wondering which swing arms are bolt up to my 550, i want to run something like a GSX-R swing arm with GSX-R rims to get that wider tire look. Or if i can get a swing arm from a Older GS that can do bigger tires. i llike the look of this bike, as far as wheels and tires. can some one point me in the direction so i can look for parts.

First take every measurement you can as to whether it will fit or not.

Like where it bolts on to the frame, width of swingarm and diameter of bolt.

Now with newer bikes and swingarms, they use a single or mono shock, not dual shocks like some of our older bikes. Another part of the conversion process.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

well, you've got a dual shock model, so you'll have to go with a GS1100 alum swinarm. Although I could be wrong, I think the 1100 swingarm is wider at the pivot that the 550. You would have to get the swingarm narrowed like I am so it'll fit in my gs400

Comment

The GS550ES is a monoshock bike. The ES, and EF were only available in the seccond gen bikes.

As for what swingarms fit... I'm clueless. YOu don't havea lot of room to move the chain to make room for a wider wheel.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
        X