Swingarm bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm bushings

I'm in the process of installing a GS 1100 swingarm in a 1977 GS 750. The bolt and subsequent swingarm bushings are both larger diameter than stock. Is there a simple off the shelf solution, or do I need to have new bushings fabricated? I'd rather make spacers than modify the frame (it doesn't look terribly robust in this area to begin with...). Can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks for all your help!!

Ain't that something. I got on here this morning to ask the very same question (sort of):?
    I am putting an GS1100 swingarm on a '78 GS550 and am going in the oppisite direction of you. I am going to drill the swingarm mounting points in the frame out to except the larger 1100 bolt. I was going to ask which models of bike took the larger swingarm bolt so I would know what years/sizes to look for, because I don't have the bolt.
    But, if there is an off the self item to cure this it may be better?

Let me know what you come up with.

Comment

Are you sure you can't drive the bearings out of your old swingarm and use them in the 1100 they may be the same O.D. ?

Comment

My 82 1100EZ, VX800s, and Yamadog FJ11s & 12s use the same IKO needle bearings. TA2530Z. Not sure about the bolts or spacers. Ill measure my bolt before reassembly.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Hi Choirboy, I did this mod many years ago on my 79 GS750. (I had a Katana 750 engine in mine, GSX discs and GSX indicators). I remember drilling out the frame to accomodate the larger bolt, but I had serious problems keeping the drill centred. It kept wandering off to one side. I did manage to make it fit, but the holes on the frame were "Concentric". I would suggest getting the holes milled or even a reamer would be ideal, but you will need a pilot to keep the holes in line. You may want to look at running the standard bolt and fabricate some thicker bushes that go between the swingarm bolt and the swingarm bearings. Good luck. It will certainly look great once completed.

Comment

instead of drilling your frame just make new bushings, in the end it's far easier/cheaper, use the outside diameter of the ones in the new swingarm and use the inside diameter of the ones in your old swingarm. I put an 82 750 Katana swingarm into an 82 550 MZ this way and it was the simplest thing, any machine shop'll do it for you for very little $

Comment

When I installed the GSXR swinger on my GT, I had bushings made. It was MUCH easier than trying to drill out the frame.

I pushed the bearing out of one side and removed the center spacer. A friend of mine made a set of bushings that would fit inside the bearings that are in the swingarm and had the inside diameter of the pivot bolt. He machined a shoulder on the bushing and installed it from the inside out. Next, he machined the thickness of the shoulder off each end of the center spacer. Once this was done, the swingarm bolted up like it was meant to be there all along.

Comment

Nice bike Ogri. I used to have the K model. Wish I still had it, with a few discrete modifications to the frame and suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
                  Nice bike Ogri. I used to have the K model. Wish I still had it, with a few discrete modifications to the frame and suspension.

Thank you. You are very kind.

I really enjoy it. It's a whole lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                  X