performance intake mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

performance intake mod

finally starting the intake modification that will need a bit of refining to work.

i bought an intake filter with a 3 inch diameter and it actually seems like it could work very well with a little bit of tweaking but it has to be done right so there isnt any air leaks going on, im curious if theres anything i should know about this beforehand and also id like to reach out to the people who i known have done it before and made it work. the one person i know i dont remember his name but he does have an early 90s gsxr track bike and is in ireland if i remember correctly.

hoping this can be done successfully and prove great results.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like timebombprod.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like timebombprod.

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Have you spoken to Grimly about doing this? It seems that it might be a lot of work for minimal payoff and possibly less than perfect results.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I'm in no position to offer any advice as my experience is particular to a specific application.
      However, there is one of the 1100s that has a large common filter poking out the back, and pictures of that have been up. The factory filter was replaced with a K&N cone or cylinder.
      From day one though, the airflow from the filter to the carbs was designed by the factory, and none of that was changed.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

would pods be a better route? I'm trying to get more power out of my bike. I wish I knew the name of the guy that I'm speaking about I know he's for a fact done this
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Like the 2:1 pods not just the 4 individual pods?
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
            would pods be a better route? I'm trying to get more power out of my bike. I wish I knew the name of the guy that I'm speaking about I know he's for a fact done this
            What do your calculations show the performance gain to be, using that filter?
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

i would have no clue what it would be able to make me gain honestly, and its not about a big gain, the exhaust i have installed caused my bike to actually be slower than when i had the stock exhaust on there, i would like to be able to make this exhaust go to use other than making amazing sounds

the bike is getting bored out, im just waiting to get my cylinders back, but i figured a big bore, exhaust, and intake mod with properly tuned and synced carbs will cause a notice in power, i also managed to take 15 pounds off the bike, without changing to a lithium ion battery yet, and this excludes the exhaust, bars, and seat being changed.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Like the 2:1 pods not just the 4 individual pods?
                At least with this route, you'd have a well established path to investigate and follow. Your motor-even with a big bore, cams (assuming you are going there) and the exhaust-will not be exotic, so it seems like a great opportunity to throw time and money at solving a problem that has been solved for decades rather than spending more time and more money to hit a wall.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

i was able to fit the filter on with no tweaking done at all. and i would like to go this route definitely, ive been able to solve everything before ofcourse with help but still i was able to pull through and succeed, why stop now? the motors gonna be brand new, everything else will be repaired or refurbished, might as well make the most of it and do something unique

i think itll be fun, and i found my original thread of asking this and i was told the late sharpy was an advocate to do it this way. is there by chance a way to find maybe his posts about this so i can see if theres any already recorded research for this.

Last edited by timebombprod; 05-04-2022, 12:32 AM.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Cool. I just think you may be reinventing the wheel but not adding to how fast it rolls. In fact, it may be the contrary. Good luck, nevertheless.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Once you get your re-built engine in place, unless you start with the stock intake and establish a base line, you will never know if the intake modifications you're making make the bike faster or slower, nor by how much. If you're going for looks, go for looks. If you're going for performance, and you don't compare stock intake to whatever modification you think will be an improvement, then you will never actually know if it's better. Butt-dyno is a fun term, but otherwise useless.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

this might be a dumb question but if i have to up my fuel jets to compensate for the amount of air going into the bike it would mean theres more power being produced right?
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

this might be a dumb question but if i have to up my fuel jets to compensate for the amount of air going into the bike it would mean theres more power being produced right?
                          Not neccessarily. If there's less intake vacuum - for whatever reason - then jets will need to go up.

Sharpy's big K&N used with the front of the stock airbox on GS1000'a does work. Side benefit is quicker access to the battery.

Comment

What bike is this on? Some of the GS models do not do well at all with pods and are not worth the effort. The 16 valve 1100's seem to do the best with pods and are relatively easy to tune for them.

Mark
                            1982 GS1100E
                            1998 ZX-6R
                            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

its a 1982 650gl, 8V and BS32 carbs, i know the bs carbs don't cater well to pods and thats where this idea came up, probably 3 years ago, wanted to do it ever since.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X