GS650G weight shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650G weight shed

I just recently got a 1982 GS650GT shaft drive bike. I'm only 5'4 and a 110lbs soaking wet, so the bike is kinda big for me especially at 500lbs. I was wondering if there was anyway to shed quit a bit of weight or other things like lowering it and what not, and making the bike comfortable for me to handle and ride. I've already thought about tryin to find a smaller gas tank and a cafe seat, and have some 10.5in shocks ordered as well to see if that helps.

You might be able to monkey with seat and get a 1 inch drop…at the price of comfort! My 650L has a stepped seat that helps a bit. If you opt for shorter shocks. understand that you’re changing driveshaft angle along with less wheel travel.
    maybe try some boots to give you extra height!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Note that the bike will only be "big" when it's not moving.
      After it's moving, as long as you can reach all the controls, size doesn't really matter.

Comment

The "L" models had smaller wheels, I think 16" rear & 19" front. I don't know what other "L" wheels may fit, but something maybe to look into... Also I've seen relatively smaller folks riding bikes that appear too big for them... When they get it figured out, they seem to handle it fine... One of my best riding buddies, been riding with him since the late 70's, is 5'6", rode a GS1000 for yrs. & today is riding a GSX1100G, not a short bike & roughly 620 lb. wet & we just celebrated his 68th birthday... Good luck & Don't be intimated.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

It might be better to get a different bike that you are comfortable on. Otherwise,
          They (the 650 GT) are quite a long reach compared to other bikes I have. I don't think a smaller tank will help you (keeping it half-full gives the same effect per topweight but the length you stretch over is the same)....that much unless you extend the seat somehow and then your foot controls will be behind you a bit more. You might find tipping the bars back a bit will help..the originals were quite tall so they can be tipped back.....not so much as to become like boat tillers but there's an inch or so available. Lower bars can't be moved back as much...

You can also slide the stanchions up through the yoke to lower the front... but only an inch max to not change up the geometry overmuch until you know more

Yes, i think so too (rphillips above) you might have a look at the GS650 GL for ideas..handlebars come back a ways, a smaller rear rim and shorter shocks and that'd be an inch and a half lower..These small things can change the feel quite a bit...

Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-27-2022, 09:26 AM.

Comment

It might help if you post a picture of the bike as it is now. I agree that practical weight reduction options are limited with the 850.

One thing I can suggest is a wide handlebar. I recently switched to one (33") after decades of putting low narrow ones on all my bikes. The difference in leverage and control was stunning. Maneuvering narrow streets in town around traffic was always a wrestling match before. Now it is almost fun.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

dpep, did you ever ride with some of those old "Z" bars, on an old chopper with the looonnng forks? so narrow & so little control they were dangerous, in my opinion.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Sell the GS and buy a modern lightweight bike. There is nothing you can do to significantly reduce the weight of your 40 year old GS, and make it compete with a more modern bike in terms of weight.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                X