Oilpressure on Turbo GSX -84

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oilpressure on Turbo GSX -84

Hi, I´m new on this exellent forum and am from Sweden. I shall mount a turbocharger on my GSX 1100 EF -84 an wonder how I shall do to get oil and oilpressure to the turbo.
    The turbo will be place in front of the engine and then I´ll have a plenum behind the carborators. The turbo is a Garrett T28.

:-D Would be very pleased if anybody knows how to solve the problem with oil and oilpressure. Pictures also wanted on the solutions.

As soon as my building begins I will post pictures regular here on the forum.

Best regards
    Powerwheelie
    Sweden

Originally posted by Powerwheelie
    Hi, I´m new on this exellent forum and am from Sweden. I shall mount a turbocharger on my GSX 1100 EF -84 an wonder how I shall do to get oil and oilpressure to the turbo.
    The turbo will be place in front of the engine and then I´ll have a plenum behind the carborators. The turbo is a Garrett T28.

:-D Would be very pleased if anybody knows how to solve the problem with oil and oilpressure. Pictures also wanted on the solutions.

Best regards
    Powerwheelie
    Sweden
    What oil pressure does the T28 require? The GS/GSX motor is a low oil pressure/ high flow system. You may need to pipe in an auxillary electric oil pump to scavage oil from the oil sump.

Hap

Comment

You can increase the oil pressure by changing the oil pump gears. They can be obtained from APE or a similar performance supplier, or you can use a set of gears from a 750, although I'm unsure about what year. Perhaps another GSer can shed more light on that subject. As far as getting the oil to the turbo, a top end oiler system will route the oil out of the crankcase to the cylinder head for improved oiling. I'm sure you can tie into the lines to oil the turbo as well. Again APE or similar supplier would be a source for those parts.

Comment

Best regards
        Powerwheelie
        Sweden
        I thought they only run one pump for the return line on the funny bikes. Go to www.dragbike.com, forums, turbocharger and post your questions there.

Comment

Originally posted by RJ
          You can increase the oil pressure by changing the oil pump gears. They can be obtained from APE or a similar performance supplier, or you can use a set of gears from a 750, although I'm unsure about what year. Perhaps another GSer can shed more light on that subject. As far as getting the oil to the turbo, a top end oiler system will route the oil out of the crankcase to the cylinder head for improved oiling. I'm sure you can tie into the lines to oil the turbo as well. Again APE or similar supplier would be a source for those parts.

The gears out of a '76 to '82 GS750, either 8 or 16 valve, will work but will not provide the pressure increase that he is looking for. The oil pump gear ratio for the 1100 gears is 34/33 and the 750 gears are 38/29. The total flow will increase but the actual pressure will increase only 5%, if that much. There is not enough restriction in the oil system to push the oil pressure up. I've run them for years on my '81 GS1100E mainly to increase the flow to the valve train. I've noticed a small increase when the oil is cold but once the motor was up to temperature there was no difference in pressure.

Hap

Comment

Turbo's do not need much as far as oil pressure, if you restrict the drain-tube on my '87 Dodge shelby z (factory intercooled turbo) it will push the oil past the seals on the turbo and it will smoke like a bug fogger! in fact if the pcv is not working correctly on it, it will smoke badly also. The stock oil pressure should be plenty. But I would make sure the return to the sump is non-restictive and you should be fine.
            Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

On a GS1000 motor and probably the 1100, if you take off the oil pressure switch plate on top of the center of the cases, you will see 3 holes. The oil feed is in the center hole. The front hole delivers oil to the top end. The rear hole feeds oil to the transmission. I run a .125" restrictor in the feed hole to the transmission on my drag bike. This re-directs more flow to the top end. The transmission and the input/output shaft bearings are pretty much bullet proof and will survive nicely as long as they have some flow to them. They are in a wet sump and get oiled plenty......This is how you did it back before top end oiler kits were available. The whole top end oiler set up was probably born from engine builders putting piston kits in that were so large that the oil passage from the upper case to the cylinder block was compromised.......BadBillyB

Comment

Hi, I´m new on this exellent forum and am from Sweden. Powerwheelie
                Sweden

Welcome to the GS paradise! \\/

Comment

i think this is good place to look for info about turbos:
                  http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/ .infoboars and Forced induction

Comment

I am going to run a Weldon pump for mine.

Comment

I have done quite much investigations about this subject and also some experiments with my turbo GS1100.

At first it seems to be very difficult to find oil pressure requirements for different turbochargers. But I have understood that ordinary turbo with plain bearings needs about 2 bar (30 psi) under full load and something like 0.2-0.5 bar (3-7 psi) at idle. Turbos with ball bearings will survive with smaller pressure.

Then about my experiments with GS. Without modifications the oil pressure was way too low, like I expected. The 750 pump gears helped a little but not enough. Then I made a restrictor plug which goes to place of the oil pressure switch. This plug robs all the oil coming from the filter. The turbo gets unrestricted flow but the rest of the engine gets it's oil through small restriction hole. With the 750 pump gears this gave about 3 bar (45 psi) for the turbo at 5000 rpm and the pressure in the main oil gallery was still more than in stock engine. So now both the engine and the turbo should be fine. I have already tested this for about 5000 kilometers without problems. If you are interested I can send some pics and more detailed measurement results when I get back to my home PC.
                      Arttu
                      GS1100E EFI turbo
                      Project thread

Comment

Working...
                      X