Jet Kit Installation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jet Kit Installation Question

I have a Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit I am installing to go along with the Jardine aftermarket exhaust and K & N Pod Filters on my 1982 Suzuki Katana 1000. I have what most likely will amount to a stupid question. The instructions for the kit state to use the drill bit provided to drill out the slide holes. I have a stock set of Mikunis for the bike and there is only one hole on the bottom end of the slide other than the needle hole. Is this the correct hole to drill? It appears to be at a slight angle. The instructions say not to drill out the needle hole and refer to an illustration, which is of no help whatsoever; it is simply an exploded view of the slide and needle assembly. ~Gene
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2006, 10:38 AM.

that's the hole I drilled. Take it slow it's aluminum and goes really easy. THat the most nerve raking of the whole installation...

Comment

Thanks for the Response

I figured that was the right, and the only, hole to drill. The rest will be easy to do, I just got a little nervous drilling into carb parts and all. ~Gene

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver
        I have a Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit I am installing to go along with the Jardine aftermarket exhaust and K & N Pod Filters on my 1982 Suzuki Katana 1000. I have what most likely will amount to a stupid question. The instructions for the kit state to use the drill bit provided to drill out the slide holes. I have a stock set of Mikunis for the bike and there is only one hole on the bottom end of the slide other than the needle hole. Is this the correct hole to drill? It appears to be at a slight angle. The instructions say not to drill out the needle hole and refer to an illustration, which is of no help whatsoever; it is simply an exploded view of the slide and needle assembly. ~Gene
        I talked with a Suzuki tech about "drilling the slides" and he commented that it's totally NOT necessary for a street bike. The purpose of drilling the holes is to more quickly allow the slides to open and close under constant abrupt throttle openings and closings. So if you drag race or road race it might be a slight advantage, but for the typical performance street bike, don't waste your time. He further commented that in some cases the larger drilled holes allows the slides to "flutter" at idle, and hammer the needles causing ill running behavior. I never bothered drilling my slides, and my 1100 runs perfect. It's all your choice though.....

Comment

In my opinion, if you are gonna use the heavier slide springs, you should drill the vent. It's drilling of the vents that keeps the slides from opening and closing to quickly. Check with the tech again, Clam, I'm interested if I have this right, but the air that controls the attitude of the slide enters in the top of the slide, right at the diaphragm. A certain amount of air needs to be vented off, or the slide will always slam wide open as soon as enough air enters to counter the spring force. A DJIII kit adds much more air to the system, hence the stronger springs for the diaphragm. If the vent is too small, the slide will raise to quickly for the higher volume of air being introduced.

That's the way I always understood it.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Y,know, Clam, I just remembered that you have the stock airbox, so your case is a little different. You didn't use a stage 3 kit, did you? Must be a 1 or 2.

If you use pod filters, you must drill the slides out to counter the additional air entering the diaphragm. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
            Currently bikeless
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

well maybe I do have the CV slide "mechanics" backwards, but bottom line, the tech advised me not to drill my slides. You are right, i'm running a stock airbox, and very possibly it's mandatory to drill the slides in the event of running K&N style pods.

Comment

I drilled mine with K&N pods and I have a perfect idle and take off. Some people say it screws with the low end, but not on mine.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Drill 'em out....Thats what Dynojet recommends and they are spot on...

Comment

Originally posted by jgordon
                    Drill 'em out....Thats what Dynojet recommends and they are spot on...
                    Sorry, but as far as Dynojet's "suggested" baseline stage 1 settings I have an EXTREMELY BAD TASTE in my mouth from my horror jetting nightmare with their kit on my 1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
                      Sorry, but as far as Dynojet's "suggested" baseline stage 1 settings I have an EXTREMELY BAD TASTE in my mouth from my horror jetting nightmare with their kit on my 1100E
                      Amen to that... I may be able to tell you the mechanics of the DJ kits, but I can't tell you how to get them to run right. It took putting the entire bike back to stock before it ran perfect.
                      Currently bikeless

Comment

I have an 82 1100e with the dynojet kit, drilled out slides and K&N pods and off idle it is excellent. Just ask Jethro he drove it and complemented on how spot on it was.
                        1982 GS1000S Katana
                        1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                          Amen to that... I may be able to tell you the mechanics of the DJ kits, but I can't tell you how to get them to run right. It took putting the entire bike back to stock before it ran perfect.
                          Shucks....... I have installed several of their kits and with a little tweaking getting them dialed in and not have to worry about that stinkin' air box anymore. They are no harder to get dialed in than if you drop the air box and throw on a pipe. Just takes patience and practice. They sure work better for me.

Comment

Originally posted by pano
                            I have an 82 1100e with the dynojet kit, drilled out slides and K&N pods and off idle it is excellent. Just ask Jethro he drove it and complemented on how spot on it was.
                            That's for sure. Very smooth, great throttle response.

I have had trouble with both my 1100's, but it's likely my own fault. The 81 had been in need of some serious engine work long before I got it, and the 83 wasn't stock when I got it, so I never had a known starting point. I imagine I could get the 83 running good on a pipe and pods now that it's back to stock.
                            Currently bikeless

Comment

Hopefully I get an opportunity to ride a "podded" 1100, as a comparison to my "airboxed" 1100 just to see if it's worth all the fuss. I am willing to sway towards "it's not". But until I actually ride one, I remain kinda nuetral on the issue.....

Comment

Working...
                              X