Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 GS750e Yoshimura Racking Exhaust - blocks oil drain plug - ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS750e Yoshimura Racking Exhaust - blocks oil drain plug - ideas?

UPDATE found potential solution- will procure
    These non-nipple valves can simply allow you to drain the oil. No hoses can be used, but their sizes are at minimum, and, compared to the regular drain plugs, they would only be added half inches in length from your oil pans.

13/16" - I had measured 1/2' of space so will see if I can use a spacer on the rear to get the required gap to install this. If it works, I'll post and you guys will have an option to change the oil without removing the pipes.

Thanks for the input! ​

Fits like a glove but Blocks the Oil Drain Plug. Has anyone fitted an extension on the drain threads? Otherwise, could pull the exhaust, pan and find an alternate location for a drain plug if there is one. I can remove the bolt with an offset 17mm box wrench but putting it back is proving challenging, even with the rear bold loosened and exhaust pulled the maximum inch away at the wheel. Maybe I could fabricate or modify a tool to make it doable but I don't want to have to remove the 8 bolts at the head to change the oil... Ideas and input welcome. Looking for simplest solution though. Thanks.Picture shows exhaust below bike and fringe of the recess where the oil drain bolt is located in the pan.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by martin_montreal; 03-20-2023, 11:16 AM.

I haven't had my Yosh. on my 1100E in yrs. just because of oil changing and having to remove the center stand. For me it just ain't worth the effort. Personally, I've not heard of anyone doing anything to make it work, folks I know just deal with it or get a different type pipe. If you come up with something reasonable, let us know... Good luck.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      I haven't had my Yosh. on my 1100E in yrs. just because of oil changing and having to remove the center stand. For me it just ain't worth the effort. Personally, I've not heard of anyone doing anything to make it work, folks I know just deal with it or get a different type pipe. If you come up with something reasonable, let us know... Good luck.
      Thanks. The previous 4 into 1 may have been a Hooker but there was no issue accessing the drain plug. I never had nor do I need a centre stand. Just figured there might be a solution: 1. a special tool worst case that works with the one rear bolt removed 2. an elbow fitting that someone has already made 3. pull the pan and find another location, drill out and thread another drain plug. Cheers.

Comment

How about leaving the plug alone and just sucking the oil out from the filler hole? Have seen folks do that with cars.

Edit- Come to think of it there's probably no clear passage straight to the oil pan, is there? I've drawn out oil when I accidentally overfilled it, but haven't attempted to completely empty the pan.

Good luck
        Last edited by Burque73; 03-19-2023, 01:31 AM.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

You just remove the exhaust, that is the trade off running a yosh. Keep your exhaust stuff clean and anti-siezed, doesn't add that much time to the process
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
            How about leaving the plug alone and just sucking the oil out from the filler hole? Have seen folks do that with cars.

Edit- Come to think of it there's probably no clear passage straight to the oil pan, is there? I've drawn out oil when I accidentally overfilled it, but haven't attempted to completely empty the pan.

Good luck
            Thanks but no. I like to let all the oil drip out but thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
              You just remove the exhaust, that is the trade off running a yosh. Keep your exhaust stuff clean and anti-siezed, doesn't add that much time to the process
              Thanks but no 8 bolts at the head with crush washers that I'd rather not touch. I measured 1/2” clearance for an elbow which I'll get machined. Need to go measure the length after the 90 ° turn but if lucky the machine shop will be reasonable on me lol. I was just hoping someone had made this part.

Similar to this mock up from tractor hydraulic bits on hand
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by martin_montreal View Post

Thanks but no. I like to let all the oil drip out but thanks for your input.
                Understood. Something like this? More than 1/2inch though...

Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post

Understood. Something like this? More than 1/2inch though...

https://ezoildrainvalve.com/motorcycles.html
                  - yes. thanks, I was looking at those this morning from a post somewhere and fyi someone piped in that Fumoto make a higher end.part. I don't mind having a 17mm or similar key requirement to drain (old school partial paranoia lol) but need to ensure of the fit as you say as well as the thread because the drain hole was rethreaded and although it's close to that ~spark plug thread spec, I think the steel insert that replaced the rubber plug that was in there all these years, is slightly off that spec now. Very kind of you to research it. Thought I'd post, not only for selfish reasons to find what other guys did but in the end post what I did since it's an old bike and obsolete exhaust and maybe some other guys have similar issues. Still have yet to start it and hear what it will sound like, not only because of the change from a rotted out old 4:1 header to this never used Yosh but because there are new rings, timing chain in the engine, the carbs were cleaned and rebuilt... I am ready for the first start, run for 5 minutes and flush but there is still a wire to connect or some other minor issue causing there to be no green neutral light (it was there but gone after I changed the neutral switch o-ring, and only makes a click sound.. lol Cheers.

UPDATE: GOT IT RUNNING (still no green neutral lite yet but not concerned) Sounds great! Can't wait to finish it up and for spring to show up for the test ride and final tuning... Definitely worth the hassle of figuring out oil changes for that exhaust. I suspect it's going to scream just right after break-in...
                  Last edited by martin_montreal; 03-19-2023, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                    We'll see good idea about the anti-seizing. I ordered the valve. If it fits and doesn't seem risky, I'll use it. Thanks. Was trying to avoid that because prior to the new used rebuilt head, some of those bolts were wonky...

Comment

How about an audio/visual treat for everyone? A walk around, a start up, let us see the bike and hear that pipe.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        How about an audio/visual treat for everyone? A walk around, a start up, let us see the bike and hear that pipe.
                        I actually started it for the first time and made a 3 minute video. I just posted it here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/F7RLw8ZPE78aQNbx6 Nothing to look at. It'll clean up okay. Let me know if it works. I didn't mention amongst the rebuilt items, rings, timing chain, carbs (kit and the rubber mounts) a rebuilt head I bought from a guy, o-ring on neutral switch, seal at tranny - waiting for a clutch push-rod seal - I don't want it to leak lol. I was going to run it 5 minutes and dump the oil then put a new filter and oil. What a pain to throw out such an expensive commodity but best to do it. So when I get the valve, I'll run it again and flush it. My voice sounds a bit off in parts because I ran that after 2 days in the cold garage with 4 broken ribs and internal bleeding from a skiing accident a week before basically a day after getting out of the hospital... cheers. No more skiing means I will get this done sooner than I'd planned, Last parts run is end of this week.
                        Last edited by martin_montreal; 03-21-2023, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Very nice. Keep us updated.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Video came through fine. That thing is going to howl.
                            Always preferred the look of the black cannister muffler like the one you have.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yep, sounds good, even better than I'd have thought with wide open carbs. Keep us updated.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X