Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lets pool all the brake calipers that can replace ours bolt for bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lets pool all the brake calipers that can replace ours bolt for bolt?

I am thinking about getting new calipers for my '81 GS650G. It has dual discs, slotted rotors, etc, but they need to be rebuilt, and it's my daily rider. I posted about easy routine maintanence, but with that information I realized they need to be dumped out soon, as the piston will not retract at all, so new pads just aren't going in there. (lubrication helped the squeal tho, for now)

so I wanted to buy something to rebuild or bolt right on that will take their place either while I rebuild them, or maybe for good if its better.

what have we found that bolts right up?

are all our GS's going to have the same bolt pattern at least? or do I need to stick within my model and year range?

any four piston ones that don't even need a bracket fabbed?

let's go!!

As far as the 4 piston jobbies. No. Too wide. They won't clear the inside of the stock wheel. Using a smaller bore Master Cylinder will make a huge difference though. (I use one from a 95 ish 750 Katana on my 550)

Short of a GSXR front end, the closest I have come to something that bolts right up is early 90's Kawasaki ZX750 calipers. They are a twin piston caliper that uses a fairly large pad. They do clear the wheel and are even a bit narrower than the stock GS calipers.
    The upper mount bolts right up. However, the lower mount will still have to have a short bracket fabbed. (I promise to post pics as soon as I'm finished) The added benefit is that you have to use a larger diameter rotor. Guess what fits...The larger rotors off of a Single caliper GS.

And yes, the calipers from other year GS's will interchange.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2006, 04:03 PM.

Comment

cool, yours was one of the longest one's I did find, nice work!!

so maybe I could actually take the calipers off my 81 850L and rebuild those to bolt right on my 650G? then rebuild the 650 ones for the 850!

I do have a YZF master cylinder that I want to use when I do the whole job...just need clean calipers and maybe another steel line to finish it out...

Comment

I've been researching this very topic for months.
        Everyone here will parrot the same thing. "just use stainless steel brake lines" It helps, but it doesn't solve the whole problem.

The calipers are not really the weakest link for everyday riding. The master cylinder is.

Comment

I got the YZF master because my L style bars set my original G model cylinder at too much of an angle and the inlet to the cylinder was close to out of the fluid in the res. I have yet to install it, and have become used to the position of the bars now, so there's little need. but to rebuild the calipers, I may as well build up the whole new system.

what about trading the entire front end of the 850L? it's dual disc, but more of the cruiser that I wanted anyway... are the steertubes the same sizes even if the fork diameter is larger?

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeard
            what about trading the entire front end of the 850L? it's dual disc, but more of the cruiser that I wanted anyway... are the steertubes the same sizes even if the fork diameter is larger?
            ? Am I missing something ?
            The 850L has a leading axle fork and has 37 MM fork tubes.
            The 650g has 35MM fork tubes. Why would you want to swap them?

Comment

maybe because I'm a chemist, not a mechanic?

what I was suggesting was swapping the whole schebang, triple tree, headlamp and forks, brakes wheels, mini ape hangers, etc...

but I don't really know if I would want to swap them, I'm not necessarily looking for a huge increase in performance, just holding to at least what I've got, but wouldn't the 37mm legs be stiffer? less flex? I guess the leading axle makes them different in the turns, but I have so little experience that I just adjust my riding style to fit what I've got... I'm no racer, I'm happy to ride my bike within it's limits, whatever those are, and I haven't found the balls to really rail on it much.

I'm just trying to get my bike in the most mechanically sound condition, while still riding it daily... so if I can fix up the 850 front end to tip top shape, then transfer it in a night or weekend, I'm golden? parts for these bikes are pretty cheap on ebay, so I figure why not buy a second set of "X" and clean them up before pulling my working but in need of maintenance parts off, etc.

plus the 850 front has a nice look to it (in my opinion) an H4 headlamp, the bucket is chromed, the arms that hold it are chromed, the signals are swapped out for low profile chromed ones, it has a leading axle, so it looks more cruiser, the aluminum is cleaner... (I know some of these things are heracy, especially in the ratbike world, but...)

well, looks like I hijacked my own thread, I was trying to get a list going...8-[
              Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2006, 06:54 PM.

Comment

any of these front ends will work, and you can get 'em all pretty cheap on ebay or at a breakers

GS 500 E - '90s work dunno about later
                GS 700 E - '90s work dunno about later
                90's Katanas, maybe 2k too but I'm not positive, I put a 96 Katana front end on a '82 GS 550, went right on, forks are nice 'n long too
                GSXR 1100 to '98
                GSXR 750 to 94

you can put an entire front end on a bike in less than an hour, it's only 6 bolts. It's muuch more involved to swap calipers.

Comment

Working...
                X