Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebars vibration: Possibles fixes

Hi.
    I have a 1982 GS650GL and for some reason, when im cruising at 100-110km/h at 4000RPM the handlebars vibrate. Its kind of a high frequency vibration so highway cruise can get my hands numb. The handlebars are not the stock ones, they are flatter and longer so maybe that can contribute to the vibration. Looking online I see that putting counterweights on the end of my handgrips would be a good way to solve the problem. Problem is. I like my handgrips the ay they are and putting counterweights on the end would ruin the style! (see pic). So I have come up with and idea: First, fill my handlebar with silicone. Its just an empty tube with nothing in it so it probably woudn't be hard to pour some in. Second, I would leave the last 4-5 inches of the ends of the tube empty, put a lead rod in there and fix said lead rods in place with some more silicone. Im thinking that this way, I would get some mass everywhere in the handlebar, but especially at the end of the handles without having to put counterweights that look out of place. Im thinking of lead because of its higher density that steel but steel is viable too. And because its sealed inside my handlebars I woudnt have to worry about lead poisoning Has anybody ever done something like that on a GS? I know its kind of a common fix on older bikes. If you have any suggestion for me I would be happy to hear them!
    IMG_1527.jpg
    Not the best picture but you get the idea. If The silicone filled handlebar plan doesnt work, then il happily put some counterweights in.

L.Leblanc
    1982GS650GL

All bikes suffer from some bar vibes and you will see that even new bikes come with bar weights as stock to dampen the vibes so it's not just older machines.
    Silicon, bar weights and fatter /softer grips will all help.
    I have a combination of all three on my Z1R to cure the vibes which got worse after fitting Renthal alloy superbike bars..

Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
    VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

I fitted a set of Honda ST1100 bars on mine and found the ends contained about 4" long steel inserts as anti-vibe weights.
      I had to remove them to fit my internal bar heaters, though.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        I fitted a set of Honda ST1100 bars on mine and found the ends contained about 4" long steel inserts as anti-vibe weights.
        Noticed a difference when you removed the inserts?

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
          All bikes suffer from some bar vibes and you will see that even new bikes come with bar weights as stock to dampen the vibes so it's not just older machines.
          Silicon, bar weights and fatter /softer grips will all help.
          I have a combination of all three on my Z1R to cure the vibes which got worse after fitting Renthal alloy superbike bars..

Any idea as to what sort of silicon to use? I was thinking standard hardware store caulk but I want to find something more dense and that hardens a bit more

Comment

Just looked at those Honda ST1100 wgts. They look like they are completely inside the bar. Could install them then reinstall your grips.?????
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Just looked at those Honda ST1100 wgts. They look like they are completely inside the bar. Could install them then reinstall your grips.?????
              Do you have a link? Cant seem to find what you are talking about

Comment

Just looked up Honda motorcycle parts then found diagram for ST1100 handlebars. Looked on ebay and saw a couple of sets of used bars that looked like weights were still inside. hardly see the weights, looked like appx. 1/4", at very end of bar
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

okok. Found one that seems to have the weights.
                  Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for HONDA ST 1100 PAN EUROPEAN 1992 2001 Handlebar bar steering wheel at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Wrong year tho, but that doesnt matter much. If it could fit inside mine it could be a good idea

Comment

I think this one would be the best choice. I just have to make sure it fits inside my handlebar
                    Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 53106MAJG00 Honda ST1100 contrappeso mannubrio weight handlebar (386) at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      If you still have them, could you measure the diameter of the bars with the rubber inserts? Im looking to see if they would fit inside my current handlebars.

Comment

Yes samonak, I saw it looks like those wgts. were no longer available from Honda, I punched ST1100 wgts. on ebay but saw nothing. Looks like those you found are all complete except the "O" ring. I'd think all 7/8" handlebars would be the same inside diameter, but couldn't guarantee it. Hoping Dave (Grimly) checks back in.

Comment

Another method could simply be to buy myself some 7/8''(or whatever my handlebar ID is) steel rods 6'' long, maybe sand them down a little bit, freeze them and insert them into my handlebars. It would be a slip fit and one they heat back up to room temp, there would be no way to get them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Simonak3000 View Post

Any idea as to what sort of silicon to use? I was thinking standard hardware store caulk but I want to find something more dense and that hardens a bit more
                            Just normal silicone window sealant pumped in with a mastic gun

Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                            VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

I filled a set with shot on one bike... works well. Use Silicon to hold it in there. Bar Snakes also make a difference if you want a ready made piece...
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X