DIY Rearset designs, anybody? GS Shaftys or whatever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Rearset designs, anybody? GS Shaftys or whatever

I need to move my 1100G foot pegs back 4". Riding over dipsy doodles, I need my feet under my butt.
    I can visualize most of the mods except shifter is a problem.
    Anybody wanna share their own homie fabrications?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

I have modified a set from a gsx-r1100. I think this image has enough resolution for you to zoom in on it . https://postimg.cc/75Gy5qN6
    But basically we removed the stock ones and all the stock stuff, welded on new plates to rear tubes with suitably sized nuts welded on the rear for fastening. The backing plate/mounting plate for the gsxr set was cut down except for the piece that bolts on, a new hole was drilled to and squared of to fit the peg.

EDIT: comparing it to a picture of a stock rearset should be easy to visualize what was done, 91 SUZUKI GSXR1100 RIGHT REARSET REAR SET FOOT PEG REST STOP W BRAKE PEDAL | eBay
    I could have just bolted the entire thing on but it would have taken my feets way to much back
    Last edited by Spiff; 05-28-2023, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Yeah thanks, that's a very good example. Nice work,

vtxFlzK.jpg
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Spiff​ Those rear sets are really priced well. Great find!!

Comment

What about the brake side?
          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Try Raask. They seem to make them for everything under the Sun! I've had them on my GSX for decades.

fs28.jpg
            Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
            Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

This was back when I added DIY rearsets to my ES

I'll be using 90 gsxr 1100 rearsets I've had on the shelf for a while.

On the 83 frame there are two mounts welded on the back of a down tube.

The top mount holds the passenger peg bracket and the lower mount is for the driver peg. With the bracket and foot peg removed it looks like this:

Started with some cardboard and used the frame mounts as a reference. The rearset will be located on the upper mount, and using a level I was able to locate where the second mount would need to be. The black circle on the lower right hand :

Next was to transfer the bolt locations and the general shape over to the 1/4" aluminum plate I got in the scrap bin for $2 a piece I clamped two of the plates together and set about drilling the mount holes so I have two brackets. One for each side:

Initial mock up with whatever bolts/fasteners I could find:

Just need to cut them to shape and get some different fasteners.

​​

​Picked up some M6 threaded rod and a coupler nut to extend the shift linkage. The rod is right handed thread. I used about a 7-8 inch length rod to join the stock GS link bar to the shift paw. The left handed end threaded into the gsxr linkage on the rearset.

Cut the brackets to the shape I wanted with a jig saw and then filed and sanded the rough edges down.

83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Working...
              X