Hey, where did Katmans thread go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, where did Katmans thread go?

You know, the one that was 20-30 pages about his Katana build?

Anyway, if Katman or anyone else knows, I am looking to see what it would take to put some 86 GSXR wheels I'm trying to get on my 83 1100E. Mostly the front claipers. I wanna try and keep the stock forks, but if I need to change em', maybe I will. The wheels are 18", both front and rear, and I'm not sure what size the front rotors are.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Found it!
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ht=GSXR+wheels

And I'm sorry, it's 51 pages!!
    Currently bikeless
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I was just going to post a link. I just Googles "Building and ICBM Kat" and it came up. The thread really deserves a sticky.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ghlight=katman

Comment

BTW, I did notice on the yellow set of wheels that the front rotors are held in place by 5 bolts instead of 6. Here's a link you might find useful.
        http://www.tidepool.com/~tetrault/tech.html

Comment

Well, I'll have to finagel something.
          Currently bikeless

Comment

I put '86 GSXR running gear on an '83 750 E and it really is easiest if you put the whole front end on, it fits right into the GS head tube, so it's essentially as easy as removing 4 bolts, the only problem is you'll lower your bike a couple of inches, I prefer my bike a little lower so it was fine with me.

If you just change the wheel you'll have to make some spacers for the front axle as well as the calipers, and you'll probably have to get some brackets for the calipers made to center them over the disc etc.

The '86 back wheel should go right on with the existing spacers etc. you may have to change the rear caliper/carrier though.

18" tires are getting harder and harder to find, you probably want to go with newer GSXR wheels, 1100's up to 98 will work

Comment

But the later model GSXR wheels go to even smaller diameter than 18". I am not down with that. I also am having trouble finding a front end for less than $300 complete. May not happen anyway, I guess I can keep testing my luck in the twisties on my old bias ply's...
              Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
              X