Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finish line in sight, but won't turn over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
    Just to describe the coil wiring another way:

The two O/W wires will have voltage when ever the ignition switch is “on”.

When the ignitor wants to energize the 1-4 coil it will provide a ground to the W wire.
    This will cause current to begin flowing through the 1-4 coil primary circuit.
    When the ignitor wants to fire the 1-4 coil it will release the W wire from ground.
    This will cause the 1-4 coil primary field to collapse and induce a high voltage spark in that coils secondary field.

When the ignitor wants to energize the 2-3 coil it will provide a ground to the B wire.
    This will cause current to begin flowing through the 2-3 coil primary circuit.
    When the ignitor wants to fire the 2-3 coil it will release the B wire from ground.
    This will cause the 2-3 coil primary field to collapse and induce a high voltage spark in that coils secondary field.

So the O/W wires can go to either coil.
    But the W wire needs to go the 1-4 coil.
    And the B wire needs to go the 2-3 coil.
    Okie dokie, thank you for the in depth explanation, really helps.
    -"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

1981 GS750E "Jezebel II" *Current
    2008 Ninja 650R "Jezebel I" *Ongoing

Comment

UPDATE:

Success! Thank you all for your help. It ended up being I had the leads from the igniter to the coils backward. Once I swapped them it fired up immediately without hesitation. I then did a carb synch with the gauge set and got the idle right. No stumble on acceleration either.

The only notable observation is now she's leaking excessive oil out of the transmission. I'm assuming the gasket just isn't that great. The stator side has a Vesrah gasket while the tranny side has some off-brand.

End of the day, happy I got her running on my birthday

Comment

Great! Get an OEM gasket, you'll be happier with a good gasket.

Comment

Congrats on getting it running!
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Excessive oil from the transmission??...Transmission gasket ??... Oh Yeah, congrats on getting it going.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thank you all! Continuing to take notes here. I'll post updates periodically

Comment

Working...
              X