Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind screen faring shield for 1982 GS650GL

Hello,
    I got my bike last year after finding this forum, a 1982 GS650GL. Specifically thanks to all the great info that this forum has generated. I've gotten the carbs rebuilt, starter button replaced(popped out), tappets shimmed (vibs now at 7k instead of 5k), petcock replaced. Those are just some of the small repairs I did. I'm getting ready to travel beyond 1 hour with it. The front of my head hurts after about 1 hour (depends on wind strength) at highway speeds, and I am looking to get a windscreen to relieve the pressure. Any recommendations on windscreens that fit well?

Thank you,
    Kemp

Usually it would be your neck that hurts, not the front of your head. Usually the front of you head means your helmet is pinching. You can push in the Styrofoam in the spot that you feel is pinching. I can see having a windscreen for many reasons, but head hurting just doesn't sound right, sounds like you need a helmet that's fitted properly.. All for the force is on your neck. IMHO

Comment

I'll try pushing in the helmet foam, and let you know how that feels

Any windscreen suggestions?

Kemp
      Last edited by kemp; 11-18-2023, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I had an F-16 on a bike for a couple years and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of wind protection provided by such a small fairing.
        Sporty, good looking...imho.
        F-Series™ Fairings are available in different styles and heights. They mount directly to the bike without any additional brackets, uprights or arm extensions. You get a clean, uncluttered look on the front end of your bike, and installation is a breeze.

Maybe look at something larger like the F-15 Tour for more helmet protection.
        Last edited by steve murdoch; 08-05-2023, 06:52 AM.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Those F-16/18 series windshields are highly rated, and don't look like a barn door, so it won' affect your steering if a large gust comes up.

Comment

So many options and most have hardware to fit your bike. Just need to search your needs. If wanting to keep wind off your face, for me, a short one that deflects the wind up and over should be fine.... but got to find what suits you... also be sure it fits your handlebars, some brackets for 7/8", some for 1", and some are for both, just something to be aware of.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I've been happy with the Streetshield EX from National cycle.
              10k miles behind it so far, no sore neck

Here it is on my 850G
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. The helmet was the problem. Turns out the size was too close and there was not enough padding. I ended up buying a Scorpion RX420. I used lidpicker.com to figure out the helmets that would work for me. Still had to try them on, since being somewhere between an xl and l on the head and a medium to large on the cheeks with an oval shape. I had been using a hjci10 which is light and relatively small. The scorpion is huge due to the extra aerodynamics, but definitely has less buffeting thanks to them.

I've noted down the shield and now that I've fixed the helmet problem I've been riding longer and longer. Yes my neck is starting to get tired after a couple hours, but not too bad.

BTW the shield looks good on the bike and not obtrusive.

Thanks,
                Kemp

Comment

Working...
                X