Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did i waste my money??? Oil cooler adapter HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did i waste my money??? Oil cooler adapter HELP!!

Hi! So couple days ago i made a thread about buying a lot of parts for installing an oil cooler on my GS674 engine 550 bottom end 650 top end. Today i found some time and decided to put in at least the adapter on the back of the engine. Nice piece of machining but first thing it only bolts on with the 2 ports facing at the STARTER CLUTCH side of the bike and second the banjo bolts and fittings that came with it are too BULKY and my standar gs automatic chain tensioner doesnt fit!!! I am starting to believe that this adapter was made with having in mind that the bike will have a manual chain adjuster something like from APE for example. Any thoughts???
    GS674 Hybrid -1965 Vespa 90 -1958 BMW R26

20231011_203807 by Geo 25, on Flickr

Comment

20231011_203817 by Geo 25, on Flickr

Comment

20231011_203740 by Geo 25, on Flickr

Comment

You've been caught by the fact that there's more room in that area on the bigger capacity motors.
          Can you relieve the bottom barrel fin - or two - to turn the adapter round ?
          And yes, for space reasons you probably will have to fit a manual tensioner. Again, not usually a problem on bigger engines.

Comment

Mr GregT yeap went ahead and bought an APE billet one.. tried lightly sanding one banjo fitting still too much obstruction so a manual it is. I sure hope installation and adjustment is simple enough cause reading threads all day seems like opinions differ. Tight all the way in, finger tight and then back off 1/4,adjust with engine running (!) Etc etc..

Comment

I always set a manual tensioner with the cam cover off.
              Timing correctly set. Socket and bar on the end of the crank. Wind the adjuster in until there's no lost motion between the crank and cams when you rock the crank back and forward - only a few degrees movement is needed. Check you can lift the camchain up approx 10mm between the cam sprockets. Also check you can move the chain sideways on the cam sprockets
              If you can move it sideways you haven't overtightened it.

Done it like this on race engines of several makes for many years..

Comment

GregTthanks for the tips it shoukd arrvive by the end of the month. I already set TDC 1-4 before removing the stock tensioner so i will have to install the new one before any fine adjustment is made

Comment

Working...
                X