Oil filter cover differences between GS 1100 and GS 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil filter cover differences between GS 1100 and GS 1150

I've installed a GS 1150 engine in a GS 1000 frame.
    Currently, the engine has no oil cooler installed and is running with the standard GS 1100 oil filter cover.
    As I'm planning to use an oil cooler, I should probably fit the GS 1150 oil filter cover except that it's no longer available...
    What are the pros and cons of not doing so?
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

The 1150 cover has a restriction built in to force oil into the oil cooler ports and my understanding is that if using the 1100 cover the oil will simply bypass the oil cooler ports rendering the cooler as useless.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      The 1150 cover has a restriction built in to force oil into the oil cooler ports and my understanding is that if using the 1100 cover the oil will simply bypass the oil cooler ports rendering the cooler as useless.
      That makes sense!
      Thanks for the answer.
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

The GS1100E oil filter cover can be easily modified to work with an oil cooler. But there are plenty of GS1150 covers out there, in barns or the greasy hands of members here, that are plug and play.

When I added a cooler to my '82 11E, a member here sold me an 1150 model, complete with lines attached and a NOS 1150 filter cover. Runs like the Antarctic now.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Everything you wanted to know about adding a cooler to an 1100

Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
          Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
            Everything you wanted to know about adding a cooler to an 1100

https://www.theflyingbanana.com/oil-cooler.htm
            Thanks Slayer, I had seen this article a long time ago but had completely forgotten it...
            sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post

Thanks Slayer, I had seen this article a long time ago but had completely forgotten it...
              You're most welcome!
              Paul

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a serious undertaking! If you're thinking about adding an oil cooler down the line, it makes sense you'd want the GS 1150 oil filter cover. Too bad it's hard to find these days. Maybe try reaching out to superlift customer service for some advice or alternatives? They might have some ideas or point you in the right direction, even if it's a bit out of the usual. Keeping your engine cool is key, especially with these mods.
                Last edited by shawncollins; 03-19-2024, 08:57 AM.

Comment

The bots are getting better.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    The bots are getting better.
                    But do they ride?
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I got my 1150 cover right here on GSR. I put up a WTB ad. It took a while, but one came through eventually. I also had feelers out on evilbay.
                      Paul

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X