Save your stock airboxes!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save your stock airboxes!!!

Recently purchased a 1985 SuzukiGS700ES. The stock airbox had been replaced with uni-filters. Idling was terrible up and down, constantly stalling out. Well I found a stock airbox w/boots, clamps and filter for $30 on ebay from a guy Tim odidle store on ebay. Shipping was fast. Stock airbox is now on bike and bike is running 100% better. Also replaced rectifer. Still waiting on a seat cover and forks are leaking at valve. But other than that bike is running great. Riding everyday!

Im with you on the keeping the stock and xnay on the pods. They may look cool and all. but they are a pain in the ass too get em too run right. Not too mention the correct mixture of air, fuel so your plugs read right. I got a kz 650 that some one put pods and didnt take the time too rejet her. I am bidding on a used airbox for that one soon.

Comment

If you install a Dynojet StageIII jet kit you won't have a problem.

Comment

Oh yeah, that assumes you are running a good quality header.

Comment

I also agree on keeping the orginal Air Box. I have a 80 1100E with a 1166 kit and from what I am told the differance between pods and the air box are not that big of a power differance. I have thought about trying out pods but my bike runs so good right now that i do not want to mess with.

The Beast

Comment

Hey bill72 I already had a number of items book marked from that seller. I need to spruce up mine as it may go on the block. Looks like you may have beat me to the airbox ;-) . Mine idles good, runs smooth but does seem a little lean. When I give it some throttle, sort of weak for lack of a better term.

Couldn't one restrict the airflow to the pods, and in effect create an air inflow similar to the factory airbox?

Comment

The best way to run pod filters is behind a set of mechanical slide carbs. Then you will see the difference.

Comment

Mechanical Slide?

Do you mean the Mikuni Flat Slides? I have a set that I intalled on my '82 Katana 1000 along with Pods and a Jardine 4-1. It's at the shop getting the carbs synched. Do you think I might need to rejet the carbs? ~Gene

Comment

That's what I'm running now on my 83 750ES, and it absolutely howls! Flatslides and pods (Thanks again Ed), and a V&H 4 into 1, with the stage 111 kit, and no problem...

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy Creek Beast View Post
                    I also agree on keeping the orginal Air Box. I have a 80 1100E with a 1166 kit and from what I am told the differance between pods and the air box are not that big of a power differance. I have thought about trying out pods but my bike runs so good right now that i do not want to mess with.

The Beast
                    TOTALLY AGREE!
                    Stock intake= relatively painless jetting and consistant running.

Comment

Originally posted by me
                      Couldn't one restrict the airflow to the pods, and in effect create an air inflow similar to the factory airbox?
                      Dumb question maybe? Anyone?

Comment

Back in the early days of drag racing (early 80's), it was found that the shape of the factory air box inlet rubbers were shaped like a velocity stack. Racers including me were running these factory stacks on bored out dirt bike carbs with no filters or box. They made more HP this way than with open carbs...Look inside the box and you will see what I am talking about. They have a very nice shape and I would really be surprised if you could get more power out of a set of high dollar pods versus the factory set up with a new factory (or better if there is one) filter with the air box lid off ..........BadBillyB

Comment

one thing to consider when you removed a stock air box is the airflow increase because of the restriction (1980 gs1100et have only 3 very small holes at the bottom of the box).when you change for pods you have to rejet your carb to match the new increase airflow.you are rigth it is a pain in the ass to adjust it correctly,the stock needle jet can not supply enough volume of gas for midrange because it is too big .but with a dynojet kit you get a very good result, it run faster and smooth ride in all rpm range .my gs 1100 is overbore to 1166cc with stock cam,exhaust and carb

n.b: the airflow increase don t affect carb idle circuit so you have to check your carb if you got poor idle, airflow increase affect the medium to high rpm (dynojet kit instruction sheet show no modification for the idle circuit )

Comment

I may have my stock 1100 one if anyone needs to go back. I plan to stay with my little K&Ns.

Comment

Any thoughts on using a K&N filter in a stock box?

Comment

Working...
                              X