gsxr forks for my 1150 efe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adam,
    I just checked out the link to your bike. It turned out awesome. Very nice, tight, clean package. You done good.

Comment

Thanks guys. I`m happy you liked it.
      As a next step I`ll try to install Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators to be closer to your league in front end performance. Somehow my stock rear shock still works properly.
      I still cant believe how good this bike started to behave - before I was holding it in line, now I can hold to it - it just rides like on rails, no matter whats going on.
      It was really interesting what BigT81GS wrote about GSXR carbs and head on 1150 engine. My question is if you lose some low end with this carbs alone / with carbs and head compared to original ?
      I do not race and in real life on bumpy Toronto streets this punch from 2000 rpm feels really usefull.

Adam M.
      PS. If you would like to see my `blasts from the past`the link is

Unfortunatly all the commentaries are in polish.

Comment

I think the cost involved in the gsxr head, top oiler and carbs would be a little rich for me for something that your not sure of the amount of horsepower gain. It sounds good and probably works well but for the street--------I would go with the smoothbores. They take a little bit to get used to but deliver the bottom end grunt you are looking for.

Reading between the lines (Polish ) in your blast from the past link it would seem your involvement in motorcycles has been very interesting. Great pictures, I'm sure it would be a great read.

Gerry

Comment

I think the perception you lose a little bottom end, and I'm guilty of thinking it too, is because the topend gets so strong with smoothbores. Topend is so good you get this feeling that the bottom isn't great. You just rip through the gears. The difference between CV's and smoothbores is like the difference between your stock suspension and the Gixxer stuff. Most of the time in twisty stuff I don't even use the gearbox. If you're careful how you roll the throttle it will pull from low rpm's. If you just want to do one mod to increase engine performance smoothbores are the way to go.

BTW, if I were going to have a GSXR head I'd have the rest of the motor sitting under it. I've though about doing the head conversion before, but I think I'd rather stuff a GSXR 750 or 1100 air cooled motor in the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry
            I would go with the smoothbores. They take a little bit to get used to but deliver the bottom end grunt you are looking for.
            Gerry
            *** And what do you mean by this ???

Adam M.

Comment

What I meant was that the smoothbore carbs work differently than the others. When you give it a big shot of gas (were talking big here) at low rpms they can bog a little and when you give it gas it has to burn all the gas that is shot in there before the rev's come down.

These carbs add something like 6-10 hp and for me anyways the bike pulls real hard after they were mounted. I mean you start to honk on it and go through the gears and before you know it your doing 180 KM and as you said that is an easy speed to ride at.

Hope this helps

Gerry

Comment

Re: gsxr forks for my 1150 EFE

Originally posted by mmedyna9629
                - 4.5`` rear wheel with rotor ( RF 600 ) working with original GS rear caliper, caliper hanger shortened, rear sprocket carrier adapted from Katana 750 ( making this wheel fit GS swingarm without a problem ).
                - Chain and sprockets conversion from 630 to 530.
                - Radial tires - BT 010 front and BT 020 rear.

Adam M.
                Hey Adam,

I was wondering if you could help me out here. I plan to start to look for parts to change the rear rim on my bike. I don't know if I will do it this year but I would like to get started on looking for parts (good deals).

What year rear wheel, sprocket carrier and rotor did you use? And any advice you could give me on the conversion.

Thanks in advance

Comment

The cheappest wheel I was able to find was rear RF 600. I got it with sprocket and carrier, but as a set it was pretty wide for my application.
                  Because I already had a 3.5 Katana rim with carrier, I put together Katana carrier and RF rim. This was much slimer package.
                  It was available to set a wheel in the proper position in my own swingarm, with caliper in propoer position on the rotor and with rear torqe link clearing my new 160 mm wide tire without any modification.
                  Only problem was small RF rear rotor - my original caliper was hanging too high. This was solved by shortening my original caliper bracket.
                  This and making of new spacers was only real work done on this conversion.
                  Aha, I had to trim a little ands of bolts attaching sprocket to its carrier - they were touching inner part of the swingarm. Another thing touching was a chain to bolts keeping footpeg in place, but only because my footpeg bracket was broken and later welded together.
                  By the way the RF wheel is an exact copy of 4.5 GSXR wheel, but these wheels were normally much more expensive on EBay.
                  Adam M.

Comment

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll start by looking for a rear 4.5" rim and see what comes with it and work from there.

When you say RF wheel I assume that is a kat model and is any three spoke 4.5x17" rim.

e-bay here I come

Comment

Actually Gerry, the RF models were not Katana's. They were an early to mid 90's sport tourer that came in two flavors; 600cc and 900cc's.
                      Doze.

Comment

Doze is right, Katana has 4.5 rear wheel, but this is new style with straight arms - wouldn`t fit your front wheel. GSXR and RF they have identical wheels, 600 model has 4.5``rear rim. Older Katana has 3.5 rear rim.

Adam M.

Comment

Thanks Adam and Doze for sending me in the right direction.

Comment

If you were to replace the bearings on a newer model set of forks like these:

with a set of tapered bearings like these:

could you get the new forks to work with the steering head on a GS1000 or GS1100?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                              If you were to replace the bearings on a newer model set of forks like these:

with a set of tapered bearings like these:

could you get the new forks to work with the steering head on a GS1000 or GS1100?
                              Yes!!!

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
                                Yes!!!

Dink
                                Sweet. Hayabusa front forks, here we come.

Comment

Working...
                                X