Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock air Modification without Rejet

This may be getting too involved (wasting more money/time
    than needed) but here goes. Rather than dealing with building custom air cleaners, would it be easier to build a custom air box out of pvc that fits a standard tube air filter size?

This could be painted to match and would hopefully free up space while saving space/ adding flexibility. let me know if I am looking at this
    incorrectly but is the most important number the total surface area of the stock filter? On my 82 GS850 I measured this at 53.5 sq. in. Basically, Im guessing this would mean each carb has around 13.5 sq.in of filter from which to draw.

I understand that by adding pod filters I would have to rejet and this is
    due to greater airflow. Based on the surface area, a pod cylinder would have to be around 2.15" high and 2" in diameter to equal the allowable stock surface area per cylinder (13.5"). Im not exactly sure but the air pods I have messed with were much larger in area and this would explain the rejetting.

TYPE 1
    By adding a standard common-size cylindrical filter INSIDE a pvc tube, sections of PVC could be removed (or drilled) to equal the surface area of the stock cleaner. By creating in effect a cylindrical breather box with the same area under filter coverage, would I still need to rejet?

TYPE 2
    If I add a single LARGER filter that is less expensive (k&N 3" diam x 3"
    high cylinder for example- something like http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tnumber=RC1910 ) I may be able to reach a comparable surface area.

This K&N tube has an exterior surface area around 54 sq. in. (top is capped so removed from the equation) and would (in theory) be an acceptable subsitute without a rejet based on the similar size. This idea may work better than TYPE 1 because the cleaner would have unobstructed airflow at the same surface area as stock and my legs wouldnt be in the way. A 4-1 pvc tube rail out of the carbs and into the single exterior BIG POD might look cool and save some space, too.

That was a lot of gabbing above and based on my gs knowledge I am sure there are many holes. FIRE AWAY!
    (please)

The main reason "pods" open up the breathing area ona GS is the removal of a "bottleneck" which is the entry into the plenum chamber behind the carbs; not the air filter itself, the removal of the bottleneck is the main reason for re-jetting.

Dink

Comment

Thanks for the info and that makes tons of sense. Maybe the angles in a 1-4 inlet would re-create the bottleneck.

Comment

Look for the article from last month ??? Homemade air filter

Comment

still figuring this out. I thought I had already run a search so I wouldn't double up...

thanks...

Comment

Working...
          X