81 GS400 Cafe racer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foam? forgive my ignorance but uh.. EH?

if your asking about if it holds air, well no, if you are patient. some bubling takes place if you just dump it in there. but if you know how to pour a good pint, you should be fine.just let it settle.

on mine, turns out there was no soap or water even in the forks, jsut really bad oil, and a good bit of dirt (hence why i went looking for the better antiwear oil) The swishing that was there befor is gone. I'm assuming that means that there is no longer any air in the oil.

hope that answers it. if not give me a definition of foam and I'll let you know.

also, I have a 4L of the stuff, and you only need at most 170ml per shock (got more jsut in case i ended making a mess, and to use as cleaner)
    carry an empty bottle with you, and next time you are out by Mac, give me and call and I'll give you all you need!

Comment

Antifoaming is pretty muck the oil's ability to deaerate. when the forks are moving up and down they are swishing the oil in them around, this as I am sure as you know will trap air in the oil. If the oil is not able to evacuate the air fast enough you end up having problems. It is just like having air in a hydraulic system. some forks allow you to put air in them through a schrader valve in the top to help with dampening as well

Comment

well AW32 is a hydraulic jack and pump oil, so I don't think they were thinking about that. Although, the Viscosity rating is on par with the recomended mis of ATF and 10W30 oil (hot cold range as well) so the rate at which air escapes would be about the same. There some sort of special water seperater in it though.

I'm having trouble imagining how it would be that air would get mixed in to any critical part. Given that you have bottom bleed holes, i don;t think it would be that much of a problem...

anyways, you are welcome to come by and check it out. It seemed most appropriate for me, but then my main concern was wear on the shocks. not quite as intensive as your high performance application.

I guess you'll just end up burning me on that 1000mile ride (how do i get details on that anyways)

And about those tanks. I still have no idea what mine is really... but the case may be with yours as it is with mine, where it is a 450 frame, with a 400 engine on it (gsx engine in my case)
        Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2006, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Here the Iornbutt is through zenriders

here is the link

Now about the tanks and other oddaties on the bikes, they are both older than us, You just kind of have to figure out what someone else did along the way. On that note you should see the wiring harness mess on my bike:shock:. I have got to re wire the entire thing

Comment

Thanks for the link. I'm back in the Hammer on the 2nd btw.

While you are at the wiring, you may want to look into an improved grounding system. Someone posted on a past thread about how they traced the gs's notorious electricle failures to insufficient grounding, and that they had managed to accomidate that. Its a bit of extra work, but if you can protect your electricle (especialy if your mods put a heavier load on the electricle system) then it may be worth while.

Comment

Im pretty sure its definately a 400, because its an 8 valve motor. the 450's were only 4 valve.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                Im pretty sure its definately a 400, because its an 8 valve motor. the 450's were only 4 valve.
                Incorrect 450's were 4 valve per cylinder (TSCC) as well, ask Brent Martin.
                Does your 400 have round or square caps on the end of the cam cover?? Round means two valve, Square means four valve.

Dink

Comment

I have square covers

Comment

Well I stripped, bondod the tank and then sandblasted it. I was origionaly going to go with flat black but switched it to olive drab at the last minuite. I am not going with the military theme I just allways liked the color. It still needs to get checkered but that is it.

Comment

Pic's not showing up

Comment

Works fine on my end. try refreshing the page?

Comment

i can se it, its in bed with him lol

thats love

Comment

My tank is almost the same color. I used camoflage green.

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
                              Incorrect 450's were 4 valve per cylinder (TSCC) as well, ask Brent Martin.
                              Does your 400 have round or square caps on the end of the cam cover?? Round means two valve, Square means four valve.

Dink
                              My GS450 was 2 valve per cylinder. I looked on suzukicycles.com and every GS450 on there was round cover, 2 valve/cylinder

Comment

I'm not sure what year, but that tank is from a GS450. I was partial to that model in my younger days, especially the one that came from the factory with a 1/4 fairing(factory cafe racer).

Comment

Working...
                                X