No announcement yet.

Internal Engine Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would just leave it. I also use the 750 gear trick with the turbo bikes, but none of the all motor bikes use them that we run. Stock for the gears and no coating is a safe way to go. For that matter, we don't even fill these engines with oil to help reduce the drag and they still hold up just fine.

If you really want to make a simple change to the bike that can actually help if your doing a lot of 0 to xxx runs. Take that stock oil pickup out and cut the two intake tubes off. Weld a couple of plates over the holes to plug them and mount the two tubes towards the rear. Every GS engine I build or have worked on is setup like this. You know the oil just doesn't flow to the front of the engine once the bike starts to leave the line.

Comment

Do you have any pictures of that mod by any chance? I like the sound of it, far less work than having to do a total tear down.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by akreider View Post
        Do you have any pictures of that mod by any chance? I like the sound of it, far less work than having to do a total tear down.

Thanks
        I did a search and found nothing. It's pretty common on the Suz's. The old Kaw's used to use a trap door. I am putting together a couple of engines for next year and will take some pictures of one for you.

Comment

I appreciate it.

Comment

Ok, not the actual mod, but you should get the idea.

Looking at the bottom of the engine the pickup would normally mount to the cases as shown. Notice that the two tubes pickup from the front of the engine.

Notice that the three holes used to mount the pickup are equally spaced and that the pickup can be rotated 130 degrees.

What you want to do is to cut off the tube coming out the side and make a plate to plug the original hole. Drill a new hole in the pickup and move the tube so they both pull oil from the rear. Of course, I have not done the mod in this picture, its just rotated 180, but this is what I want to end up with.

Again, this mod is not for a slow street bike. It's done to keep the pickup full during a high accelerating charge.

Comment

And helps to avoid an engine becoming a bit toasty from carrying a long wheelie .
              Great idea and pics, thanks!

Tony.
              Last edited by Mysuzyq; 12-31-2006, 01:31 PM.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
              X