dyna ignition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dyna ignition?

I have a 1983 1100e and was wondering if it is really worth it to install the dyna ignition. What are the benefits and are there and downsides to it?

Which one?

Comment

I'm interested in this too - the dyna 2000 looks the goods, but it seems like most people go with the dyna s - anyone wanna weigh in on the pros & cons of say, stock, dyna s, or dyna 2000?

Comment

Just basics I AM NOT the expert stock vs Dyna S = more of reliability upgrade. newer bikes need to be retrofitted with older mechanical advance to work with Dyna S. Dyna 2000 has adjustable timing curve & other features

Comment

Dyna S

My original ignitor box melted so I upgraded my '81 750L to a Dyna S. It's a very straightforward system--all you do is give it a +12V feed and then run the two trigger leads straight to the coils. You can tweak your initial timing more easily too, since the Dyna module has slotted mounts. The 2000 has a number of selectable advance curves and better dwell control but I find the stock mechanical advance + Dyna S is more than enough for a street bike.
          1981 GS750L
          1979 GS1000L

Comment

I put the 2000 on my bike two seasons ago,it has timing advance(for a stock motor doesn't do much)and more importantly a rev limiter.When the engine was stock I noticed a difference right away.If you are planning to keep the engine stock then the dyna s is the way to go for the money.I opted for the 2000 cause I bumped up in CC(1229) and had some head work w/larger cams and carbs this past summer.I like it cause you can play with the timing and advance on it.Plus it has a rev limiter. Don

Comment

Yeah, the "S' is a simpler electronic ignition and uses the stock mechanical advance curves. Its pluses are its simplicity / reliability and the cost is less than a new 83' ignition module.

The 2000 doesnt use the stock mechanical advance. It has a few pre-programmed curves and you can make your own. A Must have when you change cams to realize the benefits of the new cams/ compression, etc. It is also programable to retard the timing for turbo's, high altitude, etc. Pretty much all most street guys would ever need.
              Its also Pricey.

Ive got one on my 83' GS1100E.
              I bumped the motor up with an 1168 kit, new WEB cams and 36mm carbs but had the stock ignition. It was much faster than stock but when I put on the 2000.... after degreeing the cams and finding a good advance curve the bike is even faster and smoother.:shock: :-D

Unless you plan on changes to the motor, The "S" is great.
              If you plan on changes, the 2000 is the best choice.

The units one step below and the 4000 model are really crutches and pure race products.

Good Luck!!
              Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2007, 11:38 PM. Reason: mis-spell

Comment

can anyone suggest a starting timing curve? I'm redoing the ignition system with a completely custom setup and with no mechanical advance. I think I saw somewhere that 17 degrees at idle and when i played with the mechanical advance it looks to rotate about 20 degrees total. so i was going to make a curve that went from about 17 at idle to 40 degrees at some higher rpm. I dont know what rpm i should shoot for though to have full advance.

Comment

Originally posted by jaysihn View Post
                  can anyone suggest a starting timing curve? I'm redoing the ignition system with a completely custom setup and with no mechanical advance. I think I saw somewhere that 17 degrees at idle and when i played with the mechanical advance it looks to rotate about 20 degrees total. so i was going to make a curve that went from about 17 at idle to 40 degrees at some higher rpm. I dont know what rpm i should shoot for though to have full advance.
                  The 2000 will advance it for you.If you have a degreed rotor, set it at 36 to 40.The directions spell it out for ya.That would be your total advance.If it's an 1100 you should have a timimg plate already. If you need directions go to dyna's web site.Don

Comment

sorry i should have put this in a different thread. if you read my post I said a completely custom ignition, as in I'm not using the dyna, i'm building my own ignition unit and using a standalone ECU to control the timing curve. I just dont know what a good starting point for that curve will be.

Comment

Working...
                    X