Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension mods...any suggestions??

Hey guys,

I have an 82 1100EZ. Am in the midst of doing as gsxr conversion, and have some info to toss out to you all who know lots more about steering geometry than I:

Front is about 3/4" lower than stock, while rear is just under 1/2" higher. Forks are from an '88 1100, as are the brakes, front and rear. Fork internals consist of Racetech 1.0 kg springs and cartridge emulators (set for street riding), with standard 20mm's of preload. Tires will be Michelin Pilot Roads (110/80ZR18 in front, 160/60ZR18 in rear). Stock gsxr brake calipers will be rebuilt. For now, I will be running the stock clip ons, but plan on getting a top clamp/handlebar kit from SpeiglerUSA when the money comes in. Also, the rear shocks are new Progressives...bike is just shy of 30lbs. lighter than stock due to 4 into 1 custom exhaust. Given the vastly updated suspension and better brakes, does anybody foresee any stability problems given the changes in steering geometry? I know I should have asked this prior to all the mods...I know the bike will turn quicker, but with the wieght bias shifted forward, under NORMAL riding conditions, do you think the rear end will stay planted? I am not what anyone would call an aggressive rider; I really only did this upgrade to get the better brakes and tubeless radials, but thought if I can get a smoother ride while I am at it, I would spend the money to do so.

ANY suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated, gentlemen!

Thanks.

Mike
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Those are pretty conservative changes really. It sounds like alot but considering what you're trying to accomplish it's likely you would end up making changes in geometry fairly close to those numbers anyway. With the upgraded rubber and suspension it's going to handle great. It's going to steer quicker and getting it to drop into a turn will be a snap with the front lowered and the rear jacked up a tad.

Comment

Working...
    X