Katana Wheels For A 1985 GS700ES??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana Wheels For A 1985 GS700ES??

Has anyone been able to graft a set of 17" wheels from a 1988 and up Katana 600 onto an 85 GS700ES?

If you have, what did you use for swingarm, forks, etc.? Any and all details would be appreciated.
    Mad Doctor

'78 GS550E - Need O-Rings for carbs
    '85 GS700ES - In Process of Rebuild
    '99 GSF1200S - Running --YEAH!!

Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

That is my '83 750, same as yours only different bodywork. Front end is entire 600 kat it bolts right up, same steering head bearings. Rear wheel is also 600 kat. Rear caliper (and its mount) is the stock 750 one. stock swingarm also, no modifications needed. Had to make new mount for the speedo/tach unit, and drilled holes into the steering stop areas on the frame to insert bolts to extend the stops to the lower triple tree. Easy swap.

Comment

Oh, there is a '97 750 gsxr rear shock on it too, that is the shocks resivour (yes it is also upside-down, but it works great) just in front of the rear tire. Right now I'm stripping the paint off the rear wheel so it will match the front, NOT a fun job.

Comment

Top Triple Tree Question

Did you use the stock GS upper tree or did you use the Katana?

Thanks for the EXCELLENT pics. I'm going to work on mine this summer between rides on my '99 Bandit 1200.

Mad Doctor
          Mad Doctor

'78 GS550E - Need O-Rings for carbs
          '85 GS700ES - In Process of Rebuild
          '99 GSF1200S - Running --YEAH!!

Comment

a

Is there a big difference when you change out the wheels and forks? Are they lighter, and provide better handling? My bike just has after market exhaust and pods... still wont beat my brothers cbr 900rr :-D

Comment

I'm putting '90's kat wheels on my 550 - I just had Bridgestone Battleax BT-45s put on yesterday. I went with the stock tire sizes for the kat 600 which is a 110/80-17 on the front and a 140/70-17 on the rear (stock is a 14/80-17, but they don't make these anymore in the BT-45). The reason I say this is that I could not find a radial in the 140 size for the rear. What tires are you running on your kat wheels, and are they radials?

P.S. I am using the kat upper tripple tree. I modified some risers from an early 80's virago so that they thread into the bolt hole for the katana clip-ons. This allowed me to put some drag bars on there. Its plenty strong with 2.5 cm of thread and a 10mm bolt. I can post a pick if anyone wants it.

Comment

Hey Dee,

Would it be possible for you to post a closeup pic of the mount you made for the gauges?? I need to do the same for my GS/GSXR conversion.....just need ideas about how to get it done.....any pic/ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! :-D

Thanks,

Mike
                Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Tires are Dunlop Sportmax radials (205 rear 207 front) 140/70 and 110/70. Rear tire was on the wheel when I got it, will maybe have to go to a 150 width when it is time to replace it. I use'd the whole kat fork assembly including handle bars. I went with the swap to be able to run radials, the wheels are lighter, the fork tubes are 4mm bigger than stockers are. I think it looks better too. All I did for the gauge mount was cut off the studs on the stock steel mount, and welded some flat bar-stock to it, and drilled holes in it to utilize the same bolts that hold the handlebar mounts to the upper tripple tree. Use'd longer bolts and nuts to fasten it to the under-side of the upper tree.

Comment

Thank you, sir! :-D I was trying to do something that didn't involve permanent modification of the stock parts in a way which would prevent them from being re-used in stock fashion. So far I have been successful, until now. May have to get drastic! :-D
                    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Working...
                    X