Dyna S ignition problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S ignition problem

I recently completed the rebuilding of a 78 GS1000 engine and got it running with stock coils and a Dyna S electronic ignition that came with my bike. I don't have any instructions for the ignition and it is used. When the bike gets really hot it stops running on 1 and 4, I switched the coils around both ways to rule out a faulty coil, so it must have something to do with the signal from the ignition. When I take the cover off the ignition it cools off and then starts running on all four. Could the heat be interfering with the magnets in the ignition, has anyone ever heard of this happening? Thanks, Sam

p.s. I checked to make sure the cover is not pinching the ignition wires and causing a short, as well.

Comment

Dyna recomends running it with 3 ohm coils ? Not your stock 5 ohm coils I would send an email to Dyna re your question.

Comment

I'd be pretty leery of the stock coils...upgraded Dyna coils will bring much happiness.

~Adam

Comment

I have some dyna coils I will try. I wasn't very impressed with them on my other bike though. I was expecting a big fat blue spark and all I got was a spark that seemed to be the same as with the stock coils. I'll give them a shot though maybe the extra resistance of the stock coils is causing trouble. Thanks

Comment

I swapped to the dyna coils and it still does it. Any more ideas out there? I think it definately has to do with the signal coming out of the ignition and I think that it is because of the heat. I was looking at the ignition last night and is looks like on of the pick ups is spaced slightly further away, so maybe I'll try to adjust the gap today, and see if that helps. I really don't want to shell out 120 bucks for a new one.

Comment

I had a Dyna S on my old bike and had no issues with it and heat. I'd check to make sure your dyna pickup magnets are tigthened down right and maybe check the base timing to make sure nothing has moved out of whack. Run through the wires running from the Dyna to the coil and make sure nothing is sitting on a hot metal part or pinched.

~Adam

Comment

If its new, give Scott a call.

Comment

None of my stuff is new. I haven't tried adjusting the gap, the wires all look fine. Thanks for the ideas, I'll mess around with it this weekend and let you all know if I figure anything else out.

Comment

Working...
                  X