Yoshimura stage one cams.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoshimura stage one cams.

So I have these yoshimura stage one cams I got off ebay. I want to put them in and even though I know it's going to kill my gas mileage I'm simply looking to see "what I can do" with my '83 550ED.

I already have pods and a vance & hines 4 - 1.

I've done a few plug reads and they come out a nice tan color.

I'm itching to have them in the bike just to see what happens. Is there anything I need to look out for? Any "gotchas" in the way of carbs or timing or anything? I don't mind running it near the edge but at the same time I don't want to blow it up either...

and the first thing I want to do when I get it in is find a place that has bike dyno setup...

Well when I had my GS750 I bought a Yoshimura 850 kit to try out first. This increased the midrange torque. Then I bought stage 1 road and track cams.

Depending on what exhaust system I had on (standard GS or modfied Devil 4-1). With GS it gave it a narrow but high power band. It was pretty docile below 6000, then power came in with a surge at 6000 rpm and you had to be careful.

With 4-1 it was more tractable and easier to ride.

So you don't have any instructions with these cams?

With my cams the valve clearances were increased over standard. I can't remember the exact figure its 15 years ago. You have to set the cams up with a degree disc and a DTI gauge to get the exact valve timing.

I increased the main jet size by one step.

:-D

Comment

Nope, no instructions. Heck, yoshimura doesn't even know what specs the cams were anymore.

sometime this week I'm going to finish the install. Having the shop manual handy definitely helps prevent the "hey these cams aren't timed right" problem. :-)
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
      X