No announcement yet.

What are the best tires for the GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the ME55 Metronic on the rear and it handles and wears very nicely.

Comment

I've been buying tires on eBay recently, all of them new and rather inexpensive. So far I've tried several brands and models, front and rear. Not one has given unsatisfactory service. Even the cheap Kenda rear gave me decent handling, wet or dry. Not much mileage, but at least it was cheap.

The point is, I don't think there's a tire out there in the sizes available for our GS's that is a bad tire. Some are perhaps better than others in handling and/or wet pavement. Some last longer than others. Some are more expensive than others. Yet not one is "bad". Twenty years ago when our GS's were new that may have been the case, but I haven't found that to be so these days.

Right now I have a rear Kenda 16" Challenger and a front Bridgestone S11. Everything is fine. No funny business, adequate handling. Cheap.

I have a Conti Blitz front installed on another wheel, ready to go on the bike. I also have a 17" rear Dunlop K627 waiting in the wings. Both should be adequate as well.

Don't be afraid to experiment.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
        I have a Conti Blitz front installed on another wheel, ready to go on the bike.
        Nick
        I had a Conti Blitz on my Yam at one point and it seemed to too hard a compound - slipped. My mechanic - a very blunt, even crude, guy - told me I just bought really old stock and got ripped off.

I run a ME33 on the front, 99 on the rear.
        "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

I would agree with Nick. I don't think any major brand tires are bad, just make sure you get a set that fit your riding style best.

I have Dunlop K591's on the 750 and really like them. Improved the handling and confidence greatly over the Metzeler ME77's it had on previously. I don't think they make the K591's anymore, but you might be able to find a set on the shelf somewhere.

The 850 is currently wearing Dunlop D401's which I do not like too much. They seem to be a "long mileage" harder rubber tire and I dislike the handling characteristics. I would gladly give up a couple thousand miles worth of wear for superior grip.

I am planning on putting on the Dunlop GT501's and will let you know how I like them. Anyone want a set of almost new D401's?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Patterson
            Originally posted by Nick Diaz
            I have a Conti Blitz front installed on another wheel, ready to go on the bike.
            Nick
            I had a Conti Blitz on my Yam at one point and it seemed to too hard a compound - slipped. My mechanic - a very blunt, even crude, guy - told me I just bought really old stock and got ripped off.

I run a ME33 on the front, 99 on the rear.
            Yes, the ME33 I have ready to put on right now is also off ebay...brand new, but found out on receiving it that it is 1999 stock...my mechanic too is not too happy about that, saying it will not grip as well as the older tires harden. Now I'm not sure if I should use it or write it off as a learning experience and get a new one...(I paid about U.S.$60.00 for it). Always ask how old before bidding on unused, 'brand new' tires!
            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I'm considering getting the Pirelli Sport Demon, reasonable price, does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with these tires or wit pirelli in general?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                The ME33 worked well with every rear tire combination I ever threw at it. I never tried a Metronic so I can't speak about it.
                I've been running the ME55A Metronic (130/90-17) with a ME33 Laser (110/90-16) for some years now on my 1983 GS750ES. They work very well together. Prior to the ME55A, I ran a ME99 (Perfect) on the rear. I seem to recall that the ME99 is an older, less sporting design than the ME55A.....I no longer remember comparative longevity between them. I believe that Earl Fornes has been using a ME88 on his older-model GS750. The ME88 is a harder, touring tire that offers less grip but more miles.

Comment

I have the Pirelli Sport Demon on the rear of mine. I like the handling, but don't know about the mileage yet, I think I have 3000 mi on them so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                    Originally posted by HiSPL
                    I'm using bridgestone spitfires right now. The front is great, the rear is not.
                    Whats wrong with the rear Tim???
                    i also have the spitfire on the rear of mine and it seems to have a very fine line between traction and all out sliding with no middle ground imho Mark

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                      I have the Pirelli Sport Demon on the rear of mine. I like the handling, but don't know about the mileage yet, I think I have 3000 mi on them so far so good.
                      What do you have on the front?

Comment

I have a Chen Shing Baracuda or something like that, it seems to work ok, but when I need a new one, I'm upgrading to a Sport Demon front. My rear tire is not fairing so well, it's looking like it needs replacing, and I might have gotten 4500mi out of it. That's with the 'V' rendition, I may try the 'H' this time, and see how that goes. I do about half my miles on the highway, and weigh in around 275, so I flatten out the center pretty well. If it was more corners it probably would have lasted longer.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                          I have a Chen Shing Baracuda or something like that, it seems to work ok, but when I need a new one, I'm upgrading to a Sport Demon front. My rear tire is not fairing so well, it's looking like it needs replacing, and I might have gotten 4500mi out of it. That's with the 'V' rendition, I may try the 'H' this time, and see how that goes. I do about half my miles on the highway, and weigh in around 275, so I flatten out the center pretty well. If it was more corners it probably would have lasted longer.
                          I used to ise perellis becaus they seemed to grip very well and good gripping usually means softer rubber and less mileage from the. I would still use them except i am very tight for Dollars for a while.

Comment

I would love to stick with the pirelli that I have now, it's a great tire, but at $120 a pop, and the fact that I do about 15,000 miles a year, my budget can't handle it.

Comment

"SPORT DEMON FRONT 110/70H17 List $122.95 Now $83.00
                              SPORT DEMON REAR 130/90V17 List $138.95 Now $93.00"

discountmotorcycletire.com

Comment

Tire sizes for 81GS650GL

I'm running Bridgestone Spitfires front and rear at the moment, but they are in need of replacement.
                                Stock tire sizes are 90/90-19 front, and 130/90-16 rear.
                                Should I stick to those tire sizes for the replacements? What are the safe limits for other tire sizes for this bike?

Regards,
                                CZ

Comment

Working...
                                X