Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intake boots + GSXR-600 throttle bodies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jtolbert View Post
    KoolKat: I had thought about using ratchet-straps around the downtubes before, but honestly if I have to work that hard at it, something's not right. I have yet to try the heat thing; hopefully that'll do the trick. Thanks for the idea; at least I'm not the only one that's thought of this.

I ordered new intake boots, O-rings and clamps, too. Hopefully they'll be a bit more forgiving.
    This is the way to go, you will be amazed the difference between old boots and new; give a good rubbing of rubber grease before fitting, lubes everything up helps them to seal a little better and also helps them last longer.

Dink

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but where do you find rubber grease?

I need to hit up Lowe's for new fasteners. I want to ditch the Phillips-head screws and use something like hex-head cap screws.

Comment

Originally posted by jtolbert View Post
        This may be a dumb question, but where do you find rubber grease?

I need to hit up Lowe's for new fasteners. I want to ditch the Phillips-head screws and use something like hex-head cap screws.
        Any Autoparts store should have it.

Dink

Comment

So...Yeah. Frustrated.

New boots are here. New socket-head cap screws (M6-1.0x16, if anyone cares) are in use. I used anti-sieze compound on the screws. Originally I tried swapping the outer pair of boots (right, left, right, left) but then went back to the original order (left, left, right, right) after the outer boots ended up being somewhat off-angle compared to the inner pair. I may try swapping them again later.

Couldn't find any tubs of rubber or silicone grease. The only thing I could find was a spray can of DuPont teflon silicone grease.

My latest idea is to separate the throttle bodies, put them in the boots on the bike, bolt the throttle bodies back together and just leave them for several days. Will the boots "set" in the right position, or is this a waste of time? Should I try heating the boots with a heat gun or blow-dryer? It's fairly cold out and I bet that's not helping.

Comment

Wouldn't vaseline work? Lithium grease? Hi temp bearing grease?

Comment

Solution was simple...Use studs instead of bolts. Went on with zero issue. Now, on to other problems...

Comment

www.cyclewareable.com has a wide variety of carb holders....

Comment

So where are you in this conversion? Jumping over to EFI does sound like a pretty cool change. Now that the TB's are mounted (P-80 is a great rubber lube, and it's available all over), but what else do you need to do yet?

Comment

Working...
                  X