sung to the tune of "Leavin on a jet plane"
    All my carbs are boiled
    And torn apart
    I'm ready to build
    With all my heart.
    Can someone please let me know
    The best place to buy a carb kits
    81 GS 850 they'll fit.
    Oh,baby, please let me know...................

Z1Enterpriese.com will have either the rebuild kits (expensive anywhere, and not all that great to begin with) OR i believe they'll have the floatbowl gaskets you'll need and get your orings from Robert Barr at www.cycleorings.com He's cheap, very thorough and fairly quick with shipping. Try to use as much of the stock jets and what not if possible. If you suspect you have bad float valves, Z1 will have those too. I would also suggest picking up intake boot rings from Robert Barr while you are at it, as if this is one of your junkyard bikes most likely it will need them. Good luck Pauly!

Comment

thanks. I'm practicing with deadly intent on a set of the junkyard carbs. If all goes well, I may swithch them out and see what kind of wrencher I am.

Comment

UPDATE:
        So, in all gratitude to the Cafekid steering me in the right direction, I ordered carb kits, bolt kits, and stainless engine bolt kits. Then I got to thinking, after all the trouble I went to to get these things apart, using a dremel, an impact driver, a 2 lb hammer and all 400 of my own pounds, the old screws were pretty much destroyed. So I measured the screws used to hold the float bowls, the other end with the diaphragm, and the bolts that hold it to the rails. They are all 5mm, and most are 16mm long. Where i work we get things like this from the Wurth company. They cost us about 20 cents each. Granted they are still philips head screws, but they're stainless and therefore more resistant to galling and freezing up due to electrolysis.
        Now, if I only remembered what went where......................

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
          UPDATE:
          So, in all gratitude to the Cafekid steering me in the right direction, I ordered carb kits, bolt kits, and stainless engine bolt kits. Then I got to thinking, after all the trouble I went to to get these things apart, using a dremel, an impact driver, a 2 lb hammer and all 400 of my own pounds, the old screws were pretty much destroyed. So I measured the screws used to hold the float bowls, the other end with the diaphragm, and the bolts that hold it to the rails. They are all 5mm, and most are 16mm long. Where i work we get things like this from the Wurth company. They cost us about 20 cents each. Granted they are still philips head screws, but they're stainless and therefore more resistant to galling and freezing up due to electrolysis.
          Now, if I only remembered what went where......................
          Could have pointed you to stainless allen head carb kits too...

Comment

Yo, buddy, i did order those too. I'm just putting forth an alternative with the original style philips head screws, or cheese heads as the Germans refer to them as.

Comment

Good deal I should have ordered them myself, just for precautionary measures but i got lucky and didnt have any problems with my carb bolts/screws what have you.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Good deal I should have ordered them myself, just for precautionary measures but i got lucky and didnt have any problems with my carb bolts/screws what have you.
                okay, so i got my screws from boltdepot, as in my other thread. now i've got lots hangin around. if you find yourself in need for a rack of carbs, i figure 4 carbs will take 32 5X16 bolts, 16 lock washers and 16 flat washers. if you need 'em let me know. now that my first set of carbs has had fatal deterioration in 3 out of 4, i'm gonna rethink trying to rebuild until i figure out if my other set is as bad off. 2 of the 4 in the set i just tried to rebuild had the plunger thing so corroded and frozen in place that even with a 4 day soak in my super concoction and some mild heat, and a wooden pry stick (super dense hardwood makes for dangerously hard sticks, ever heard of ironwood?), they were too frozen to even start to slide.

Comment

It's generally advisable to reuse the origional Mikuni brass carb jets when ever possible. My carbs looked like below and I got away with reusing them, including the float needle and seat, after a good soak in carb dip along with an O-ring kit from Robert. If you do choose to use aftermarket parts check them carefully to see if they match the originals - sometimes they don't.

Good luck.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

shameless promotion: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=116354
                    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working...
                    X