OEM Smoothbores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Smoothbores

Kinda curious about going with some VM smoothbores as an upgrade from my BS32's on my 550 Katana. Seeing as how smoothbores are an upgrade for bikes like my '82 1100E, I was wondering if changing out my CV's for say a set of 26mm VM pumper carbs would yield any benefit.

Originally posted by RJ View Post
    Kinda curious about going with some VM smoothbores as an upgrade from my BS32's on my 550 Katana. Seeing as how smoothbores are an upgrade for bikes like my '82 1100E, I was wondering if changing out my CV's for say a set of 26mm VM pumper carbs would yield any benefit.

Well, since no one else has replied, I will throw my $0.02 in here.

The flatslide carbs used as an upgrade on your 1100E are bigger bore than the BS32's are. They flow better and make more power. All good things. They can also be harder to tune correctly and will likely have a few hitches in the power delivery. One of the things that CV carbs are good at is that super smooth midrange response, which is nice on a street bike.

The VM26's are smaller and older technology (ie. - in no way comparable to the RS Mikuni's) and would likely make less power than the BS32's. I would say the best mods would be to put pods on the BS32's, jet them and ride it. You keep the silky smooth response that CV carbs are good for and get a nice power gain if the stock airbox set up was choking it off.

Mark

Comment

Working...
    X