Turbocharging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbocharging

i have a 77gs 750. i was wondering what is the requirements for a turbo to be setup. do you need to fully enclose the carbs in the box, or pressurize fuel. just wondering what is needed.

if i had to turbocharge a bike, i would make a custom intake manifold and fuel inject it.

Comment

For those that do not go all the way with fuel injection, there is a different intake manifold installed in place of the rack of carbs. The turbo blows into this manifold after sucking through a single carb. It is way too hard to try to enclose the carbs for successful pressurized operation.

One of the popular suppliers is Mr. Turbo. One of their kits is shown in the link.

I know this is not a Suzuki, but it shows one way to mount the turbo. Based on its location, I suspect it is a fuel injected installation.

Again, not a Suzuki, but this shows the turbo in the more normal carbureted setup with the turbo where the carbs used to be.
      In this install, the carb inlet is on the right side, near the rider's knee.

A closer shot of another turbo'd KZ1300:

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pardon me whilst i wipe the drool from my chin That Z1 is filthy!

Comment

Originally posted by litshoot View Post
          i have a 77gs 750. i was wondering what is the requirements for a turbo to be setup. do you need to fully enclose the carbs in the box, or pressurize fuel. just wondering what is needed.
          There http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi...orcedinduction is a lot of information about turbocharging .

Comment

Turbocharging isn't that hard to do, but it does require some work on the engine to safeguard it. A lot depends on the bike you choose to turbo whether you have to spend inordinate amounts of time/money or not.

Simple drawthrough setups are available in a bolt up kit from companies like Mr Turbo. Forged pistons are recommended. Welded crank (if it's a rollerbearing crank), or aftermarket connecting rods on many bikes. Oil pump upgrades are required on some bikes.

Comment

Working...
            X