gs with an added xr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs with an added xr

something that has confused me. if a gsxr carb setup will work on our bikes, why wouldn't the exhaust work. Just a thought and as stupid as it may be, has anyone tried to swap a head off a newer qsxr onto an older bike. mine's a 77gs750 and online i've found so many people with trashed gsxr that they are parting out i was almost going to build my own, or just stack the parts onto my bike to make it a almost new gsxr.

i guess i'm just wondering how far could parts swapping go. i know of carbs being change able but what about headers or even the head itself. please let me know. and if i'm just stupid let me know that too. i'm new if you can't tell by the moronic questions i ask but with thinking odd good things can happen also.

thank for you time and all help no matter how helpful it may be, or how helpless i may be.

Exhaust spacing on gs/gsx & oil cooled gsxr's is the same so they will fit the head the problems arise with clearance around the sump & footrest hangers :-D

A gsxr head can be made to fit a gs engine (on the larger cc bikes anyway) but its nowhere near an easy straightforward job

Comment

Another one but with the added bonus of a turbo \\/

Comment

Call me dense, but i dont understand the reasoning behind taking a modern head and putting on an older bottom end? Enlighten me?

Comment

you're dense lol :-D

The gsxr heads are capable of flowing a lot more than the gs heads & due to the combustion chamber shape they burn more efficiently + theres still capacity for tuning way beyond what you can do with a gs head :-D

cant remember which exactly but its either 748 or 749 heads that are popular for this mod :-D

Comment

That's a lot of work & money for the same result as turbocharging a GSXR. Then there's the time & money needed to make it handle & stop as well as it goes.
            If you want that level of performance, why not start with a GSXR in the first place?

Terry
            Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2008, 01:07 PM. Reason: Incorrect assertion!

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
              you're dense lol :-D

The gsxr heads are capable of flowing a lot more than the gs heads & due to the combustion chamber shape they burn more efficiently + theres still capacity for tuning way beyond what you can do with a gs head :-D
              And, I understand the older GS bottom ends are stronger, by virtue of the roller bearing, and general 'overbuilt' design....able to withstand higher increases in hp. The best of both worlds.
              Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
              Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

The biggest benefit, & the reason I do so MANY of these conversions, is that you can only go 28.5 & 24 valves on stock GS 1100 valve seats. The GSXR heads can go 30 & 26 valves on stock seats. Plus, they have WAY better port designs & port angles. It ISN'T very expensive to do either. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                  The biggest benefit, & the reason I do so MANY of these conversions, is that you can only go 28.5 & 24 valves on stock GS 1100 valve seats. The GSXR heads can go 30 & 26 valves on stock seats. Plus, they have WAY better port designs & port angles. It ISN'T very expensive to do either. Ray.
                  Hi ray
                  one qustion thats always bothered me with this conversion & ive never got a satisfactory answer yet is how the hell do you sort out the top end oiling of these hybrid engines is it just a case of uprated pump & external lines as ive been previously told, sorry if its a daft question but i get the feeling theres something i'm missing

cheers tone

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    Aren't we talking about a 2 valve 750 to GSXR conversion? The conversion you specialize in starts with a GSX 16 valve bottom, right? That should be easier & cheaper than the 750 conversion. The bottom end can take the extra power. The 2 valve 750 was rated at 72 hp & has a 9000 rpm redline. The GSXR 750 was rated at 106 - 115hp & redlined at 11000rpm. putting that amount of power thru a stock 2 valve 750 bottom end (unwelded crank, soft tranny gears, riveted clutch basket) is risky. Add a turbo & the problem gets worse.
                    Then there's the handling & braking.......

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                      Hi ray
                      one qustion thats always bothered me with this conversion & ive never got a satisfactory answer yet is how the hell do you sort out the top end oiling of these hybrid engines is it just a case of uprated pump & external lines as ive been previously told, sorry if its a daft question but i get the feeling theres something i'm missing

cheers tone
                      Hi Tone, yes, I put a Ward, or comparable, top end oiler on all of mine. RacingJake has done his & NOT used an oiler but I think he has been lucky so far. I just don't like to take chances when it comes to the cost of cams & rocker arms. You can even still use the GS exhaust you have with this conversion! I have put a STOCK 88/89 GSXR 750 head & cams on a STOCK 1100 bottom end & gotten 20 MORE horsepower! This was an HONEST 20 HP gain! It was after jetting & cam degreeing but we do that to all of them anyway. And, yes, Terry, this is 16 valve stuff. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X