Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoshi

Joe,
    Whoops thought you wanted to see the timing cover? That is Por-15 Black engine paint; very nice. I used 1000 grit to do the final polish on the Yoshi logo.

Oh the header paint; whatever u do don't use Por-15 high heat paint. Maybe if you can perform a miracle experiment in outer space for it to work, but it repeatedly bubbled and flacked.

This Zynolyte worked well, covers and there is not a hint of bubbling or chipping.

Rick,
    Thanks for the comments; I'm not sure if I'm growing up or going back wards.

Jim

Comment

Outstanding job! She looks geat.

Comment

Outstanding. I can't wait til my ride is ridable again. Gettin there. I have two questions relating to your bikes Jim:

What do you do on long trips if you have to adjust the chain without having a center stand? I just got a Yosh pipe and didn't realize the stand had to go.

Also, what is the guage and light setup on your GSXR? What headlamp ears are you using and is that just the stock cluster that's usually under the fairing? Thanks and beautiful job. You're bikes must be fun!

JOsh

Comment

You can adjust the chain with the bike on the ground. What is your issue? Ray.

Comment

I saw this bike in action up close today....it's an absolute rocket!

Comment

Thanks guys

Red,
              Thanks it has been alot of work, I feel like I have squeezed about 20 years of motorcycle wrenching into the last year and 1/2.

Josh,
              The GSXR already has a 17" wheel and USD fork conversion with 89 guages(I think 750's as the redline is 12K). I picked up another set of guages from a 91 1100 that has a nice cast/machined frame for the guages. It is the last set before the water cooled GSXR added the 3rd water guage.

I will start another thread on the GSXR1100G after I finish the Wheel conversion on the ED, but I was able to modify stock headlamp ears by sectioning in . This allows me to keep stock turn signals. More later on that; the ED has taken presidence for the moment.

Curseboy,
              The jetting is very close, it seems to bobble a little but clears on a fast opening only sometimes. Generally when I drop the hammer from 5K+ it just goes. I used to have to kick it down to 3rd to get the 1075 to growl, kickin the 1168 down to 4th U gotta hold on. Going 0.348's and RS flatslides must be ridiculous (I have 0.340's and 36mm CV's). Once I get used to this I will go 1/4 throttle mod and the slingshot carbies . Of course will need the gixxer wheels and the bullet fairing at there is aot of buffeting as 3rd nears redline (where ever mph that is ).

bike on the ground.
              Ray is that a frame ground or a battery ground ??

Pos

Comment

Top End Rebuild Update

I recently completed a 1168cc rebuild with a whole bunch of help from Chef (Bill).

Besides the Wiesco kit, I had a head ported by Terry of Terry at headsbikesmopars
                here is a link top a description of the head.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Basically did the following:

1168 cc Weisco
                Ported head, 1150 intake valves, back cut and ported.
                Milled the head
                Reinstalled the APE springs
                New Webcams 0.340 cam set to 105/107 degrees (using a high performance combo gasket scraper, degree pointer)
                Dyna -S
                Mains on DJ Stage 3 bumped from 137.5 to 145
                That is the high lights at least;
                Now for some pics.

Head got repainted with that really cool Por-15 Black engine paint. It doesnt look OEM but it does look WET.

The kids are all snuggled in bed.

Failed MLS gasket install (never again)

Bill maning the dial indicator

continued

Comment

Continued

Here is the 9" degree wheel installed on the ignition side. Combo gasket scraper and ice scraper is used for indicator pointer to +/-0.25 degrees accuracy

After this engine was all together, Head n torqued, cams installed , degreed we had to go back and install this . The gasket that saved the day. Bill was going to drive 5 hours to get one of these and then reassemble my bike. I told him no and then I found this one later that night. He was going to do it knowing he had to work two 12 hour back to back days starting the following day. I don't know if he is crazy or just a good friend. Thanks Bill.

Here is what it sounded like the first time it was started. Notice the oil leak that started soon after.

1168 CC STARTUP VIDEO

Anyway, after fining out this is the right gasket. I went into the garage at 10:45 and put the head, installed the cams and had the engine ready to fire by by 1:00 am. I started the bike up the next morning at 8:00 am.

Pos
                  Last edited by posplayr; 04-28-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I'm just a crazy friend.
                    I can't stand unfinished business!
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      I'm just a crazy friend.
                      I can't stand unfinished business!
                      Hey Bill,

I have some unfinished business, maybe after your two 12 hour shifts you could road trip to San Antonio and rebuild my 1100...hotdogs and beer on me...

Fantastic job BTW to both of you!

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                        Hey Bill,

I have some unfinished business, maybe after your two 12 hour shifts you could road trip to San Antonio and rebuild my 1100...hotdogs and beer on me...

Fantastic job BTW to both of you!

Joe
                        I'm still waiting to see if the carbs I rebuilt for you work.
                        The job Bruce did on those carbs is fantastic! Those carbs were in really bad shape when I got them.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Pos,

You did a great job, as now I know the history of your bike. When I first saw your bike back at he Yosemite rally your bike turned many heads,
                          including mine. I always wondered how you did this with your time and
                          the sweat equity into it...now I know !!

Excellent account and documentaion of the project. Hope to see you
                          and your great machine again at the Shasta rally.

Comment

Hey Ken,
                            Thanks for the comments. Hopefully the best is yet to come.

plans are to be done for the Shasta Rally. Make sure you bring two bottles of the good stuff this time

Jim

Comment

Dang Jim,

I just read through this entire thread again, what an incredible project. This an absolute perfect reference for anyone rebuilding a GS. The attention to detail is fabulous, I saved in my favs. I am re-thinking my entire project now..DAM YOU!

Hats off brother!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                                Dang Jim,

I just read through this entire thread again, what an incredible project. This an absolute perfect reference for anyone rebuilding a GS. The attention to detail is fabulous, I saved in my favs. I am re-thinking my entire project now..DAM YOU!

Hats off brother!!!!!!!!
                                Joe
                                Thanks alot Bro. It is a joy to just be able to go to the garage and hop on the bike and go for a ride now that it is all done.

What is the expected unveiling for your EZ? You gotta be getting close right?

Happy Holidays.
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X