78 Skunk Carb base settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
    I'm not sure where Tom's jet needles are set, based on how he described them. I always count positions from the top-down. He sounds like he may be at 2 1/2(?), which is generally lean in my experience, quite lean actually. But bikes can differ. I've never seen a single 1000 run right on the DJ base settings for the jet needles. Even cheaper pods and a cheaper pipe want the needles richer than they recommend.
    Well Dan, and by proxy Keith, I remember taking Keith's advice on the needle settings. I had my carbs running a little richer than they are now. I recall I didn't like it too much. But I don't remember why I didn't like it. I'm sure it was just my novice level experience, which is certainly flawed. But after much experimenting I ended up wher I'm at.

After reading the Guru's advice again, I'm going to re-think my settings.

One thing that comes to mind is the mediocre performance I experienced on the DynoDrags in Reno last year. I expected better results after the mods. Our sister skunks should have been closer. Heck, I have a 40 pound weight advantage on Bruce, and everyone knows I'm a better drag racer that he is. :-\". Yet he beat me easily in four races.

So I'll be anxious to hear about your results. And when I get around to it, I'll post mine.

Comment

Tom, I'm only questioning the jet needle position you chose, not any other part of the jetting.
      And like I meant to say, it's just my gut feeling. If I had your bike here and after checking a few things, I'm thinking a couple of solid 1/3 or 1/2 throttle runs would show plugs in the grayish/white area? Maybe not. It would be easy to find out though.
      I'm not sure why your bike is (according to you) slower at drag racing than Bruce's. If you're questioning the jetting, you're right on the main jet during the whole run and the 138 main works well for basic pipe/pod and also 1085 kit mods.
      What are your exact mods?? Cam timing matters A LOT and is the single most common reason for identical/nearly identical bikes to have different performance.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
      X