Vance and Hines Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vance and Hines Exhaust

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have been reading and see that there are many people here with alot of good knowledge. I have a 1982 GS1100E with 1993 GSXR1100 wheels and a 1995 GSXR750 front end. I am using the Vance and Hines sidewinder exhaust. I have seen that other people have had a similar setup, I have had trouble with the front tire rubbing on one of the pipes on the header. Only when turing left with some brake. Has anyone with this setup found a way to get around this? Thanks.

Very Clean

Looks like you have done alot of work. Very Nice; Maybe someone else has run into this problem
    Posplayr

Comment

Thanks very much. I hope someone will have some insight with this, thanks again.

Comment

Judging by the picture, it looks like the front forks have too much sag. Have you redone the forks with the correct springs for your weight and bike? it seems to me if you have it should be ok, but if you haven't I can see why you have that problem of suspension moving too much. IMO

Comment

VERY nice looking bike. The problem with the sidewinder is that it was designed to be used on frames that have been raked. As in dragbikes. I have run them on unraked frames but did so by using an 18 inch GS 400 or 425 front wheel with the 18 inch fron drag slick. It works because the tire is very short. I suggest you find a V&H STREET 4 into 1. Call PR Factory Store at 816-737-3715 & see if they still have them. Tell Don that Ray Rains sent you. I wish I had better news for you but for street use you will be better off with a street pipe instead of a drag pipe. You will also be able to make right turns a LOT safer! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            I suggest you find a V&H STREET 4 into 1. I wish I had better news for you but for street use you will be better off with a street pipe instead of a drag pipe. You will also be able to make right turns a LOT safer! Ray.
            Psalms23, I have pretty much the same setup on my GS1100esd with the 1995 GSXR 750 front end and actually do have the V&H STREET 4 into 1. I checked the ground clearance from the ground to the lowest part of the headers. I think I have around 3 to 4 inches! Probably less when I am sitting on it! I dont have any rubbing issues with the front tire and it looks and sound great but noticed that when I take a sharp turn to the right, the pipe do scrape at times. I have not changed out my fork springs yet which may solve my problem but thought I share this with you before you go out and buy your exhaust. Others have posted up with simular situations. I dont know what spring kit to buy for our setup but I hope someone on this forum can share this info with you and me. Hope you all the best!

Here is a link to my bike build up with lots of pixs which maybe helpful. Good luck!
            Place your GS performance, tuning or mods related questions in this forum.

Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2008, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Nice looking machine! Sorry, to deviate from the topic...I see you have braided brake lines with mucho slack. I need some for my GS700, but with top mounted clip ons on a 92 GSXR750 front end... Any advice on this? Thanks.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2008, 07:42 AM. Reason: syntax

Comment

This is alot of good information. I have not rebuilt the forks yet, I agree that some stiffer springs would help with this. There is not much room left for compression, alot of sag. Thanks RapidRay and Kichai for the number and the pictures, I may have to go with that other Vance and Hines exhaust.

I installed risers on my top triple clamp to allow the use of superbike bars. I am using Galfer brake lines and a GSXR600 master cylinder. The right line goes on first then the left onto the master cylinder. The right brake line is about 27in and the left is about 30in. I do not have any tee or anything in between, just each line going to each caliper (GSXR triple pot). Those lengths give me enough slack to put the bike on the center stand and also for riding and allowing for suspension movement. Thanks to all for the information, very helpful.

Comment

I have a couple more pictures to help show clearance that I have.

Comment

One more.

Comment

Kichigai, I looked at your build, very good work. I like the risers you used, I did something very similar, I used Kawasaki Vulcan risers and then mounted some superbike bars. I installed them the same way you did from below the top triple clamp. Your build looks very similar to mine. I thought about doing the same with my ignition, but didn't feel confident enough to solder the proper wires on. I also have the 5/8 offset front sprocket, and an RK 530 chain with a JT rear sprocket. I still have to do a little grinding or something where the chain rubs on the center stand and the inside of the lower part of the frame where the gear shift shaft is welded on. Did you have the same issues? If so, what did you do? Thanks.

Comment

Psalms23, Forget about grinding anything, I have already been there! I started off with the 5/8 offset srocket and has all kinds of rubbing issues.
                        I ended up trying a 530 17 tooth 13mm offset sprocket which took care of the chain to frame rubbing problem. Here is the link if you are interested. The only thing beside the sprocket change that I had to do was to go with a rivet type master link instead of a clip type. I would think that this would work for you too!

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

By the way, nice looking blue rims!!! It kind of looks like mine!
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2008, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, the rims do look like yours, very similar blue color. I used Dupont chromabase clear coat base coat. I tried your link, but it didn't work for me. I am using a 5/8 16T front sprocket myself. It has been a long day, but if 25.4mm equals 1 inch, then a 5/8 on sprocket would be about 15.9mm. So the 13mm would let the chain come a little closer to the engine case, causing less rubbing on the frame. Can you tell me where you got that front sprocket? Thanks.

Comment

Sorry about that! I should work now! Try it again.

Your measurement conversion and your assessment is right!

I got my sprocket from WWW.sprocketcenter.com
                            888-265-2141 or 949-254-2430 (Contact Person: Chad)

Its called the AFAM 530 Multi Fit C/S 13MM Offset. Item # 28400-17

Cost was $54.95 plus $4.95 shipping and handling to California plus $4.26 sales tax.

Total cost was $64.16
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2008, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks Kichigai, the link worked this time. That was a great write up. I may go ahead and try that sprocket also. I did use a straight edge for measuring the chain on the rear sprocket, it did appear to be a little off, there was about 3/16in difference from where the chain is on the rear sprocket to where it comes off the sprocket headed away from it. The 13mm offset would fix that problem, and my frame rubbing I bet. The only problem after that will be the tire. The chain right now just barely wants to rub the tire, this other sprocket will probably make the chain rub the tire. I am using 5.5in GSXR1100 rims and a Dunlop 180/55 rear tire. I may do this anyway though, It may not rub enough to cause issue (maybe a little rubber gets rubbed off), I don't want to grind my frame either, especially on the back where the gearshift mounts. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X