No announcement yet.

Aftermarket Simple Install Gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've learned enough to say that nothing is impossible..... But I don't see how it could be done :/ sorry

Comment

lol yeah i was kinda figuring that... good thing there's a reserve then...

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        ... but remember these things are not water proof. A plastic zip lock bag or something might work if your riding in the rain. ...
        I have installed a few of these on various bikes. What I do to enhance their weather resistance is to spray them with a couple of coats of clear polyurethane. Most of the water that gets in and causes problems comes in around the display, and that is the easiest area to seal.

Originally posted by chriswh86 View Post
        what is needed to hook these up?
        I did not look at the link in the next post after this question, but installation can't be much easier. One wire to ground, one to the battery or the AUX terminal in the fuse box. The third wire goes to one of the other fuses that is switched by the key. There is virtually no battery drain caused by leaving the display on, and this also keeps power to the clock so you don't have to keep resetting time. It's also nice to be able to just walk past the bike in the garage and give it a quick glance to check battery condition. The (pitiful excuse for a) backlight and the three voltage indicator lights will come on when you turn on the key.
        For mounting, some of us have fashioned brackets that attach to the handlebar mount screws so that it will look like BonanzaDave's setup or it might be just a bit lower (closer toward you).

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by scottp8113 View Post
          lol yeah i was kinda figuring that... good thing there's a reserve then...
          if you really want a gas guage, you could either install a sending unit, or find a tank that will fit it that already has a sending unit. then it's just a matter of finding a gauge that will ajust to the right resistance range, and somewhere to mount it. as installing a sending unit would be tricky to make sure it sealed well and functioned properly, i'd suggest the latter. I actually have a tank on my 82 1100G that came from a model that had a gas gauge, so i already have the sending unit. even though as far as i can tell the G did not have a gas gauge, i thought it did initially, and found a schmatic for a small digital gas gauge which i am hoping i can find the time to finish up before the end of april. i'll update the thread i started for it when i finish it and you could check it out, assuming you could find a sending unit.

Comment

I'll be installing this multi gauge in a day or two but on a 78 GS there is only one fuse, no panel. Where have you guys tapped the third power wire into on these older GSs?

Comment

Working...
            X