Anybody know about these jet kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody know about these jet kits?

Seems like an "OK" deal if you think of it as just four main jets and four air bleed restrictors, but if he's really done his homework and they work it could be a good alternative to the DJ kit.

I just don't know what to do - I have K&N pod filters & a V&H pipe that I'd like to use but don't know if I should just throw some 120 main jets in it, buy this guy's kit (which requires reaming&tapping the air bleed holes in the body), or buy the DJ kit with new needles too.

What makes you think it will run right with these?
    Every engine/pipe/pod combo is different.
    If you get mikuni jets it is easy to go up or down a size.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      What makes you think it will run right with these?
      Every engine/pipe/pod combo is different.
      If you get mikuni jets it is easy to go up or down a size.
      I totally understand that, I've jetted more than a few bikes (and cars, before I discovered programmable engine management) but i was hoping that his strategy was a good one with the air bleed restrictors.

I guess I should rephrase my questions:

"Do you think I'll be able to get good results with jet swapping or should I invest in a kit like the DJ one, which includes different (adjustable) needles? Or, do you think this kit's strategy of restricting the air bleeds to richen the midrange is a good one? (versus changing needles)"

I guess my instinct is to leave the needles alone since the enrichment profile from off-idle to WOT shouldn't change much if I'm not changing the engine (cams or ports) which has been my experience with 2-stroke carbs.

On the other hand I hear stories about how these bikes don't like pods so in that respect maybe I'm better off just leaving the filter alone and jetting up a little for the pipe.

Comment

Oh, and the DJ kit is $100 for about $50 worth of tuning parts so it better work right out of the box to be worth spending the additional $50.

Comment

At least with DJ you get a new needle, these are just jets with no correlation to known jet sizes.

If it comes out a little lean, where do you go from there?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well my experience with DJ is that the kit does work right out of the box, at least on my bike. The needles look to be much better in terms of taper design than the Mikunis. Keep in mind you're not just paying for the parts but the research required to come up with the parts combo. Not trying to defend DJ's pricing but you need to look at the whole enchilada.

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
              Well my experience with DJ is that the kit does work right out of the box, at least on my bike. The needles look to be much better in terms of taper design than the Mikunis. Keep in mind you're not just paying for the parts but the research required to come up with the parts combo. Not trying to defend DJ's pricing but you need to look at the whole enchilada.

I've had to mess with the needle positions, but otherwaise, DJ is pretty close.

Comment

You also pay for the tech support line.... not sure how good it is but you do get one.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
                  Yep, mine worked perfect right out of the box, no re-tuning at all, just installed it.

Comment

Working...
                  X