Drilling Elongated Holes in GS1100 rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling Elongated Holes in GS1100 rotors

My (83) GS1100ED and (81) GS750EX both have the same rotors and I'm planning on sending in a set to have them surface milled. The shop also provides drilling services, but since my rotors have an elongated drill hole pattern already, I wondering if it is worth the effort or expense to either a.) increase the number of elongated holes
    b.) Drill more round holes
    c.) Leave well enough alone.
    d.) Add slots between the existing holes?

This is for a Street bike and not a road racer and no plans for track days. If I really need a big step up in performance I will g owith the GSXR front end.
    Having said all that, I understand this really improves things. I'm going to be into $40 per rotor for surfacing anyway, probbaly another $50 for drilling/elongating holes.......

Comments 8-[

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    My (83) GS1100ED and (81) GS750EX both have the same rotors and I'm planning on sending in a set to have them surface milled. The shop also provides drilling services, but since my rotors have an elongated drill hole pattern already, I wondering if it is worth the effort or expense to either a.) increase the number of elongated holes

This is for a Street bike and not a road racer and no plans for track days. If I really need a big step up in performance I will g owith the GSXR front end.
    Having said all that, I understand this really improves things. I'm going to be into $40 per rotor for surfacing anyway, probbaly another $50 for drilling/elongating holes.......

Comments 8-[
    Not worth it, IMHO.
    Having seen quite a few SETS of rotors (near-new condition) sold on ebay for less than the $40.00 quoted price to surface-grind a single rotor, I would be more inclined to simply replace them, and go with option 'C' from the list.
    Then I would use the $$ saved, on some sweet HEL SS braided lines.

Tony.
    Last edited by Mysuzyq; 04-24-2008, 06:30 AM.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      a.) increase the number of elongated holes
      Option 'c' for me. As you said it's for a street bike. Spend your money on some chrome, new tin of paint, braided lines etc.

If you were trying to lose excess heat, shave off as much weight as possible (etc.) I'd consider it, but otherwise you are just making someone else wealthy.

Comment

Working...
      X