Exhaust Idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Idea?

So, this is probably stupid, but I thought I'd ask before I brought out the welder.

I know that straight pipes will hurt bottom end significantly, and I think help top end (assuming tuned just right). Armed with that knowledge (feel free to tell me if those assumptions are wrong), I came up with this:

Basically four straight pipes coming back, ending before the rear wheel. But in an effort to save precious low end, put a reducer outlet on them, reducing the outlet approx 1/2. I could also put some types of baffles or muffler packing in there to reduce noise.

I'm trying to achieve a few things: improve performance, get rid of my stupid looking trumpets on both sides of my bike, make it sound neat (but not overly loud), and maybe save a bit of weight (not that it matters, the bike's a pig anyways).

So, what do you think? Would it work? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks.

Straight pipes don't necessarily hurt bottom end, but they can only be tuned for one narrow rpm range. Everywhere else will suffer and there will be a big hole in the torque curve right about 1/2 the tuning rpm. If you want the best possible torque curve, you want a 4-1 header with a true megaphone tailpipe after. You may not like the look, but there is no superior exhaust system for making power.

Reducing the header pipe diameter to 1/2 for the outlet without some sort of muffler will leave you with a LOUD bike. You need a muffler to effectively reduce the noise to reasonable levels or your neighbors will hate you. I can't help with your vision for your bike, but mufflers are a must, no matter how you want it to look.

Mark

Comment

Try volkswagon tailpipes.
      09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
      83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
      81 GS650G for the wife.
      82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
      I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
      If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
      Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Working...
      X