Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kawasaki Twinpot Brake Modification - who wants parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just called my local MC salvage and asked about CBR900RR rotors. He must have figured out what they go for new, because he wants $250 for a set. Any other years/ models might work?

Comment

Originally posted by tucker View Post
      I just called my local MC salvage and asked about CBR900RR rotors. He must have figured out what they go for new, because he wants $250 for a set. Any other years/ models might work?
      Some F3 rotors will also work, they are the same for some of the model years as the 900RR rotors. You will always pay that from a salvage yard, they usually charge around 1/2 of what a new part costs from the dealer. Ebay is the answer for rotors, they usually go for around $125 for a decent set.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
        These are the calipers fitted with the steel plates.
        Very clever Don. I like the way you think.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
          Very clever Don. I like the way you think.
          Thanks Jeff. It's all built on your original idea though.

Only trouble is that I can't test them for a few months.

Comment

P.S. If anyone wants the diagram and specific measurements to make a set themselves then I can accommodate them. I might get the draughtsman at work to draw up a proper schematic, etc.

BTW these brackets were handmade by myself and cleaned up on a belt sander to remove the course finish left by the angle grinder. I used the old "tried & true" method of cutting both plates (brackets) together to obtain two identical brackets in shape and they turned out OK considering I used a hand held drill and angle grinder and had no precision equipment at my disposal. Because the drill bits wandered a bit doing it free hand I had to elongated a couple of holes to make them line up correctly. But those of you with pedestal drills and access to machine shop facilities (Old Colt) will do a much better job than I have done.

Anyway I hope this can help someone along the way if they choose to do a similar upgrade.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2008, 04:44 AM.

Comment

I now have the hub spacers available for anyone wanting to do the same mod that I have with the CBR F3 rotors.

I do have a limited number of different thickness ones so people can compensate for existing fork offset as well. Let me know what you need. (measure between caliper mounting plate & rotor face on your existing setup with a set of calipers & see if there is any difference).

They are limited in number & I don't know if I'll be able to get more at this stage.

PM me if interested.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

when you gonna make one to replace the caliper in the rear?

Comment

I have a steel capped Sidi boot I can do something with your rear with if you like!
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

There is quite a bit of mix and matching that can be done in the rear,

of the bike I mean.

Comment

Brake bracket profile & drawing

Hi Guys. Find attached a drawing of the brackets that I made up in completing my conversion from Suzuki single piston front caliper to Kawasaki Twin Piston calipers with Honda CBR rotors on the front of my GS550.

This drawing was done for me by Mark M, Mark Mattock from Canada and special thanks to him for his skills in this area. When printing this PDF file make sure that NO PAGE SCALING is used otherwise the drawing will not come out at the exact measurements of the caliper bracket.

The idea is to print the drawing out, cut it out with scissors, etc. and glue it directly to the plate, centre punch the hole centres and do the drilling and then cut the plate to shape.

Comment

Be very careful when printing a PDF to use as a template... all printers have a tolerance, my inkjet prints at least a mm wrong. I would recommend mocking the brackets up using the printed template in Card first or thin plastic & fitting the caliper with it (seriously, it will hold). YOu can then see if you need to make any adjustments.

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          Be very careful when printing a PDF to use as a template... all printers have a tolerance, my inkjet prints at least a mm wrong. I would recommend mocking the brackets up using the printed template in Card first or thin plastic & fitting the caliper with it (seriously, it will hold). YOu can then see if you need to make any adjustments.

Dan
                          Hey Dan,

I am familiar with those problems. When I did the drawing, I dimensioned the center distances between the holes, so the user can measure first to be sure it did print accurately. Between Don and myself we got it to print accurately on several different printers, so it is at least a decent start. As always, YMMV.

Mark

Comment

There will be no adjustments required. The measurements on the template are those taken for the forks and the caliper bracket. There is no guess work here. There are three measurements on the bracket I made. These are as follows:
                            72mm -- Lower Fork leg lugs, centre to centre.
                            55mm -- From the two front mounting threaded holes on the Kawa caliper bracket, centre to centre.
                            24mm -- this is the only measurement that is variable. And I have spent a lot of time getting it right.

Dan, might be time to get a new printer. My laser prints the template out fine. The measurements are spot on, exact. But only if printed out with no page scaling on the PDF file.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-26-2008, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Don - A laser will always give a more accurate print than an Inkjet in my opinion.
                              There's a reason why they charge a fortune for accurately calibrated plotters for CAD work though - it's pot luck.

Just pointing it out, I'm sure everyone is capable of taking measurements etc but a lot of people just "trust the equipment" & it might not be the same for them, I'm not knocking the idea at all just trying to be helpful
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                                Just pointing it out, I'm sure everyone is capable of taking measurements etc but a lot of people just "trust the equipment" & it might not be the same for them, I'm not knocking the idea at all just trying to be helpful
                                Dan,

That is why I put the dimensions on the drawing. It is up to the user to confirm it printed accurately and the dimensions allow them to do it. The user also has to confirm that the thickness will work with his particular set up as well.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X