Seafoam questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seafoam questions

Has anyone used seafoam as an oil treatment? It sez on the can you can mix it with almost any fluid other than bodily fluids. Just wondered if anyones done anything other than gas.

not on a bike, but yes in a truck.

Cory

Comment

I have seen mention of it here in the forums. It was suggested as an easy first try at fixing a bike that was difficult to shift. The theory was that lacquers and gunk had built up in various places that interfered with shifting. I think the prescription was to add an amount to the crankcase with new oil, ride 50 miles, then change the oil and filter. Variations on that would probably work, but hopefully someone who's actually done it can fill you in with more details. I plan to do it myself near my next oil change.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yes. I checked with the company and they say it is fully compatable with bike oil and clutches.

I run about a quarter of a can per fresh fill of oil. It really seems to keep the crap out of the oil passages and such as at oil changes the oil is filthy even after as little as 1000 miles.

I've only started doing this so can't really comment on long term but I don't think it would be an issue as I've never read any contrary comments on any of the bike forums.

Give it a whirl.

cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

I'd think that it would have the same effects as MMO, but I'll bet that MMO smells better when it burns.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend leaving it in (running it all the time) it thins the oil. I do run it before a change. Put 1 oz per quart in the crankcase run it maybe 50 miles then dump and change.

Comment

Working...
            X