Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early 90's Kat 600 --> GS750ES shock swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early 90's Kat 600 --> GS750ES shock swap?

Last Fall I parted a '95 Kat 600 and the shock looks like a drop in replacement for the GS750/700 monoshock, minus the adjustment. Anyone done this or know if its a good swap to make? My shock isn't gone yet but the Kat shock looks pretty good and I'll keep it around for the future.

Thanks
    /\/\ac

P.s. Any threads on this? I searched but didn't see any and I'm sure someone must have asked this before.

I personally have a '86 550es, and actually just got done installing the wheels and forks off of a '94 750 Kat on to it.

I was going to do the shock, but it's not a direct fit. Yes, it will bolt up, but the Kat shock is almost a full 2 inches shorter (13" vs. 11 1/4" eye to eye). Plus there's the issue of damping rates. I have no idea of how they compare, so it would be worth putting yours and the Kat shock on a shock dyno and compairing the rates.

Some users here have posted that they have done something like this, but in the end, I have to ask "why". Why do you want to install a different shock? Rebuilding your shock and messing with the linkage can really change it's performance and personality.

So what are you looking to end up with?

Comment

Trying to find someone willing to attempt to rebuild the stock shock will be tough. It lacks the valve needed to recharge the shock with nitrogen and finding room to install one in the proper place may not be feasible. Someone here was going to send a stocker to Lindemann Engineering to see if they would attempt it but we never got an answer here. The stock shock wasn't all that great to start with. Works Performance makes a nice repalcement that runs in the $500-600 range. You can check the Works site for lengths of various stock shocks from different bikes then compare the way it mounts with ones for sale on Ebay to see what might work. I believe I ran across a Honda or Yamaha based shock that would be the right length and have the correct mounts.

Comment

I agree with Zig. Without knowing the shock's spring rate, you're shooting in the dark. Different bikes have different linkages and so they're going to have different leverages on the spring.

I put a late model gsxr shock on my 550, and it is not sprung correctly. Makes the rear end way too stiff.

Comment

Well, I have a spare shock that came off of my '86 550. It's not leaking, but there is pretty much zero damping.

If someone knows how to rebuild shocks, but is not sure about this model, I'd be willing to send it to them to play around with.

And there's a vintage motorcycle race about an hour away from my house at Grattan Raceway, this weekend. I'll see if I can hook up with anyone that can work on these.

Comment

I found this link today that seems to show the early 90's Kat shock as being exactly like the GS700 shock but without the adjustments.

The three shocks on the right are supposed to be: GS700, GS700, Kat 600.

It looks the like Kat shock is maybe 1/2in longer, has the same type of mounts and the springs look the same from here. Wire diameter is hard to judge but its close enough not to be obvious in the picture.

I could use a fairly stiff spring in the back anyway... I'm on the lipitor side on 250 and a lot of my miles are with saddle bags, a tent and a crate on the back.

/\/\ac

Comment

You can always find a source for a different spring if what you end up with is quite right.

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
                I found this link today that seems to show the early 90's Kat shock as being exactly like the GS700 shock but without the adjustments.

The three shocks on the right are supposed to be: GS700, GS700, Kat 600.

It looks the like Kat shock is maybe 1/2in longer, has the same type of mounts and the springs look the same from here. Wire diameter is hard to judge but its close enough not to be obvious in the picture.

I could use a fairly stiff spring in the back anyway... I'm on the lipitor side on 250 and a lot of my miles are with saddle bags, a tent and a crate on the back.

/\/\ac
                Thanks for posting the link! Although, I have to say that none of the shocks pictured match my '86 550es shock. Even worse, the ones that he calls out as "Old GS700" shocks actually look like the one from my '94 Kat 750 (#4 and #5). The gold bracket with the adjuster at the top look really familiar... I can post pictures if you'd like.

So his offering of knowledge may be in question. And anyone that's willing to extend a kickstand with JB weld and Bondo, well..., you need to be cautious with their advise.

So for now I'm sticking with my original plan of either attempting a rebuild on my old shock, or with help from a shock dyno, find one that's a direct replacement. Although, a new Works Performance shock would be the golden goose. But at the cost, my better half may not agree.

Comment

Originally posted by zig06 View Post
                  Although, a new Works Performance shock would be the golden goose. But at the cost, my better half may not agree.
                  I got really lucky and was the first to come up with the cash for a barely used one posted here in the parts for sale section. Got it for $150 and feel like I stole it.

Comment

I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a new Hagon shock built specifically for the GS750/700. At $480, it'll be a weekend winter project to install it and do the swingarm bearings.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                      I got really lucky and was the first to come up with the cash for a barely used one posted here in the parts for sale section. Got it for $150 and feel like I stole it.
                      You lucky dog!! Post a report on how it compares once you install it.

I've decided to bite the bullet and buy a new Hagon shock built specifically for the GS750/700. At $480, it'll be a weekend winter project to install it and do the swingarm bearings.
                      The swingarm bearings are a quick fix, but it's still an all afternoon project. Start buying parts now, and then when your ready you'll have everything at hand.

Comment

Working...
                      X