drilling exhaust means richen carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drilling exhaust means richen carbs?

so i got a 1980 gs450L that the PO installed jets and pods but never did the exhaust so i drilled out the three holes around the rivits at the baffles to get some more flow thru the pipes but now im wondering if i should richen the carbs a bit or should i be fine with just that lil mod...

the red dots are where i drilled 3/8 holes

this gave it a deeper sound but didnt make it much louder, i really like it untill i can get a set of slip on mufflers.

i havent seen that yet....

you will know if it leans the bike out too much cause your pipes will start to blue up.

if it sounds good and runs good than more power to ya!

Comment

what is the muffler part itself blues?

Comment

it shouldnt, usually only the header pipes blue right after they come out of the cylinders...

Comment

yeah trying not to get off topic here but my throttle side can is blued all the way around below the rear foot peg

Comment

w3ell if someone wants to strip off my header paint to see if the pipes blue they can, lol...

and i thought if it was blue its running rich, if its yellow its lean?

oh and i just got back from a 400 mile bike ride and it drove fine, and it doesnt seem to have a miss when crusing at 5k anymore.

Comment

I drilled all 5 on each side through 2 baffle plates my pipes didn't turn blue.
              didn't have to retune anything. got a nice sound to it. I heard that running the choke on while warming up is the main cause of pipes turning blue. if yours is blue to below your foot peg sounds like it is partially clogged orextremly rich in cyls. 3-4

Comment

yeah we were thinking clogged bit by hand it feels the same amount of exhaust is coming out. i did order my pods, stage 3, and V&H 4-1 pipe so it should fix any of the problems i am having.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistedRoads View Post
                  I drilled all 5 on each side through 2 baffle plates my pipes didn't turn blue.
                  didn't have to retune anything. got a nice sound to it. I heard that running the choke on while warming up is the main cause of pipes turning blue. if yours is blue to below your foot peg sounds like it is partially clogged orextremly rich in cyls. 3-4
                  doesn't a 450 have 2 cylinders? Anyway, I'm thinking of doing a little drilling of my own as well. My friends say I should drill out the pop rivets and take the muffler caps off lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                    doesn't a 450 have 2 cylinders? Anyway, I'm thinking of doing a little drilling of my own as well. My friends say I should drill out the pop rivets and take the muffler caps off lol

yeah a 450 only has 2 cylinders, and for taking the cap off i think it would sound like ****, i only drilled the 3 holes because the guy my cousin got the bike from jettied it and put pods on it but didnt do any exhaust work, this is just an experiment till i get the new slip on mufflers

Comment

If the pipe turns blue or yellow, that is a sign of too much heat. you get too much heat by running too lean (having an exhaust that flows more freely than stock, without jetting, for example) among other reasons. running the bike too rich will not discolor the pipe, it just wont get as hot.

Comment

Working...
                      X