Wheel Swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Swap!

I have a 1979 GS750. I want to have GSXR wheels, but retain the original GS swingarm, and forks. Will they just bolt on (rear sprocket would have to be GSXR) with the stock axels? If so, what years are a guaranteed fit. Would I need the GSXR axles, any sort of spacers? I saw posts about swaping the swingarms, forks, but I want to keep it as economical as possible and just do the wheels. I got my bike for just $350.00! Clean title, need only brakes rebuilt, carbs cleaned (I rebuilt them, and bead blasted the outside) to be safe. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2008, 09:01 PM.

Originally posted by oshanac View Post
    I have a 1979 GS750. I want to have GSXR wheels, but retain the original GS swingarm, and forks. Will they just bolt on (rear sprocket would have to be GSXR) with the stock axels?
    No, they will not bolt up. Nothing will fit straight across like that on your 750 because the 17" wheels and tires are too wide. The only bikes that the 17" rear will fit in the stock swing arm are the later 1100's and they are limited to the 4.5" rims with a 160 tire. AFAIK, nothing will bolt into any of the GS forks, the fork tubes are not spaced correctly and the brakes will not fit in any way, shape or form.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
      No, they will not bolt up. Nothing will fit straight across like that on your 750 because the 17" wheels and tires are too wide. The only bikes that the 17" rear will fit in the stock swing arm are the later 1100's and they are limited to the 4.5" rims with a 160 tire. AFAIK, nothing will bolt into any of the GS forks, the fork tubes are not spaced correctly and the brakes will not fit in any way, shape or form.

Mark
      Actually, 90's Katana rims will fit. The front 17" rims are 3" wide and the rears are 3.5" wide. I've put them on my 1982 GSX750 Katana. A little spacer work and its pretty easy. No, you can't go as wide a tire as you can with the GSXR rims, but the 150 Michelin Pilot Power fits great on the 3.5" rear and looks pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post

Mark
        NOT true! The 86/87 stuff WILL bolt on! The rear wheel you will have to figure out spacers & the brake but the axle diameter is the same & I have done the rear wheel with all stock spacers! The front will work no problem if you use the ENTIRE GSXR front end assembly. Unfortunately, to install the GSXR wheel in GS forks would require some machining, bracket making & SKILL to make work. Don't give up as it IS a workable project. PLUS, the 86/87 wheels if prepped like the GS 83 wheels will look somewhat stock. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by tobiism View Post
          Actually, 90's Katana rims will fit.
          Ah yes, I should have qualified that with no GSXR wheels will fit... Good point.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            NOT true! The 86/87 stuff WILL bolt on!
            But that is hardly the state of the art 17" radial rims, Ray.

I can't wait until the sportbikes start switching over to 16.5" rims, then we can watch them go through with all the wheel swapping fun...

Mark

Comment

He never stated a year range of wheels he wanted to use & you made an incorrect statement. That's all I was clarifying. The early GSXR 18 inch wheels work & fit QUITE well! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by oshanac View Post
                I have a 1979 GS750. I want to have GSXR wheels, but retain the original GS swingarm, and forks. Will they just bolt on (rear sprocket would have to be GSXR) with the stock axels? If so, what years are a guaranteed fit. Would I need the GSXR axles, any sort of spacers? I saw posts about swaping the swingarms, forks, but I want to keep it as economical as possible and just do the wheels. I got my bike for just $350.00! Keen title, need only brakes rebuilt, carbs cleaned (I rebuilt them, and bead blasted the outside) to be safe. Thanks guys!
                you can stick a 5.5 rim with a 180 into the stock 1980-82 750/1100 swingarm. If you don't have one on your bike already they are around. I have one for 50.00. the 4.5" rim is the same width as the 5.5 bearing to bearing. with the 5.5 you can use a gs1100 hub. There are plenty of those around to cheap.
                You also need some other stuff but they fit. I ran that setup for a yr. MIght be a little much for your setup though.

gsxr 750's up to 95 and all 1100's rear wheels have 20mm axles so you can use your stock gs axle.

Last edited by katman; 07-21-2008, 04:48 AM.
                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                  you can stick a 5.5 rim with a 180 into the stock 1980-82 750/1100 swingarm. If you don't have one on your bike already they are around. I have one for 50.00. the 4.5" rim is the same width as the 5.5 bearing to bearing. with the 5.5 you can use a gs1100 hub. There are plenty of those around to cheap.
                  You also need some other stuff but they fit. I ran that setup for a yr. MIght be a little much for your setup though.

gsxr 750's up to 95 and all 1100's rear wheels have 20mm axles so you can use your stock gs axle.

you have a rim or a swing arm for 50 bucks because if its the rim how much for shiping to 76437

Comment

Sorry.. that is for the swing..
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

? for Katman

Did you have to run off-set sprocket with the wider wheel?
                      How about chain/frame clearance?
                      I am thinking about lacing up wider rim on a spoker and was wondering how wide I could go without chain/tire/frame clearance issues.
                      this would be on an '80 1100E with 530 chain.
                      Thanks.

Comment

Paco,

Check out my post on offset sprockets. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=115688

For me, the 13mm offset sprocket did the trick using the 5.5 inch wide GSXR wheels.

Comment

kichgai

Thank you for the link.
                          Excellent info!
                          It looks like I don't have much to be concerned with 'cause I'm not planning on going as wide, Most likely 150 or 160 on a spoked wheel is what I'm shooting for.

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
                            Thank you for the link.
                            Excellent info!
                            It looks like I don't have much to be concerned with 'cause I'm not planning on going as wide, Most likely 150 or 160 on a spoked wheel is what I'm shooting for.
                            its not just the tire you need to consider it is also the hub width. That is what determines your offset up front. 12.45mm or 1/2" is the correct spacer for 4.5 and 5.5" gsxr rims on a gs1100.

You can find more numbers and info on my tech page http://www.robwilton.com/xtech.html
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Holy crap Katman!! excellent, Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                              X