38MM carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38MM carbs

I am putting a 1168 piston kit into my 82 GS1100E. I have a friend that is giving me a set of Mikuni 38MM carbs. Does any one know if this set-up will work? Thanks!

What you may have trouble with is the carb boots. Those 38's will stretch them a good bit. There are lots of threads on the subject of mounting GSXR carbs to GS engines on this website for further info.

Comment

38 mm on a 1170 is a bit overkill and are quite difficult to set up. optimum for 1170 would be 36mm carbs preferably gsxr or bandit jobbies ....but if you want to splash out a bit .....a nice set of mikuni rs36 flatslides

mmmmm.flatslides

Comment

i was going 1166 w/ 3.95/3.95 cams and big head job. Fast By Gast recomended 34mm Mikuni RS carbs. with 36mm you will lose bottom end. Unless your planing on matching the intake ports and a head job to it the 36mm wont be worth it.
        38mm is over kill. drag racing only.
        the 34mm rs carbs will give you better low and mid power because of there design.

Comment

o hes giving them to you. you can get boots to put them on but they would be over kill. it wont run right on the street. I would sell them and get used 34mm rs

Comment

It depends, & no one has even asked this. Are they Mikuni RS 38s or are they GSXR CV 38s? If they are CVs you can make them work on that motor NO problem! They will have great throttle response & drivabiliy when you get them dialed in. If they are 38 RSs they will be too big. I have a very nice set of 36 RSs I will trade you straight across for them if that's the case. Let me know if you are interested. Ray.

Comment

yes they will work fine with simple adjustments on a motor of that size and mild cams you are planning

the highway will be a hoot!! but some throttle input talent will be required for light to light blasting.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                It depends, & no one has even asked this. Are they Mikuni RS 38s or are they GSXR CV 38s? If they are CVs you can make them work on that motor NO problem! They will have great throttle response & drivabiliy when you get them dialed in. If they are 38 RSs they will be too big. I have a very nice set of 36 RSs I will trade you straight across for them if that's the case. Let me know if you are interested. Ray.
                ya i should have mentiont that 38 cvs or rs
                Who would giveaway 38 rs

Comment

Well now that we've found out that we were talking about CVs it seems this question is answered.

With respect to the RS38s I agree with others comments that RS36s would make more sense, but I disagree that you can't have a very streetable, mildly built bike with RS38s.

I have street ported head, stock valves, with Yosh 1135 pistons, yosh pipe, pods and yosh cams. My boots were cleaned up and matched to the ports and the carbs. I also run a 1/4 turn push pull throttle.

My bike dinoed at 120 which isn't bad but probably would have been better in the mid range with RS36s. The RS series carbs have a fuel pump and are very tuner friendly. Throttle control is silky smooth. So my suggestion would be if your starting from scratch look for RS36 for most applications however if you can get some RS38s cheap they can be made to work pretty well on mildly built GS's. I've had mine on for more than 30K miles.

I have experimented with an early generation (1999) stock carbon fiber R1 can. With that can in place and the needles adjusted you can feel the mid range is better. I'm not sure if its the added back pressure or what. Only problem is it doesn't look appropriate. I continue to look for a much quiter slip on that won't look cobled together and will fit the Yosh header.

Comment

I bet a set of RS38s would wake my bike up BIG TIME!!
                    Its eyes are already wide open.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey Bill, I've got a set of 36s that are just growing dust, wanna try em? Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X