Which Engine for a Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Engine for a Special?

Which engine would be preferred for a custom framed special - 16 valve 1100 or 1150? And why?

I currently have an 82 1100E and it has a great engine, it is the best part of a good bike. The 1150's have more power potential but consensus is they are significantly buzzier than the 1100's. Engine mods would be an 1166 kit (for the 1100, obviously, nothing for the 1150), stage 1 cams and 36mm flat slide carbs with pods. Pipe would be a custom 4-1 megaphone system. Power target is around 130rwhp.

Maybe an 1100 with an 1150 head for the bigger valves would be the choice? Any structural things to consider, like crank strength, rods, clutch, tranny gears?

Thanks,
    Mark

I'm going to stick my neck out here & say neither would be my first choice but if i really had to chose the 1135 is the one

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
      I'm going to stick my neck out here & say neither would be my first choice but if i really had to chose the 1135 is the one
      What would be your choice? I'm not talking current engines, I already have an 06 GSXR1000 if I want stupid fast. I love the GS engines and have slowly been working up to doing my own chassis for one. The looks, sound and character makes it the ideal street engine for me. Nothing rational about it...

Mark

Comment

Mark.

Do you know if your crank is welded. If you don't know and its an 82 I think you only have a about a 15% chance of it being welded. 83s are 100% welded as are the 1150s.

My stock 82 twisted the crank at 10K miles after the owner of the shop that sold it to me new said he had a list of the serial numbers from 82 with welded cranks and mine was on the list. I said fine put it on the bill of sale so we don't have any amnesia if something goes wrong.

Suzuki stood behind it and gave me a new 83 crank at no cost but I lost half a summer of riding. Needless to say we had an few awkward moments when I brought it back and they gave me the diagnosis.

1150 heads go for $400 used and would probably need a valve job before you put it on your 1100 lower. Your going to end up with a silver lower and a black head. Your would also need a digital tach with either a 1150 head or a complete 1150 engine.

I just saw someone selling a complete stock used 1150 engine on dragbike.com for $1400. For $1400 I'd do a crank up rebuild of my 1100 first. If you could get a real good complete 1150 engine for less than $800 I could see it but otherwise I'd build the 1100. If you lucky enough to have a welded crank then things would get a lot cheaper. Just my $.02.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
          What would be your choice?

Mark
          Gsxr 1127, K model for preferance more power, lighter, easilly tuned & nearly as indestructable as a gs or gsx, sorry but thats my favorite engine of all time

Comment

Yeah but that Gixxer engine won't fit into the GS chassis without some significant work. At that point an 1100 motor with a big bore kit and welded crank starts to sound pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
              If you could get a real good complete 1150 engine for less than $800 I could see it but otherwise I'd build the 1100. If you lucky enough to have a welded crank then things would get a lot cheaper. Just my $.02.
              Lots of good info, that's why I asked. My expectation is to buy another engine regardless of which I chose. I don't want to strip my current 1100 just for the engine. I might get there, but I am planning on looking for an engine / parts bike first.

Thanks,
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                Gsxr 1127, K model for preferance more power, lighter, easilly tuned & nearly as indestructable as a gs or gsx, sorry but thats my favorite engine of all time
                I understand that, Tone. I just like the GS engines and the look and sound of them. A nicely cleaned up 1127 would be OK, too, though.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
                  Yeah but that Gixxer engine won't fit into the GS chassis without some significant work. At that point an 1100 motor with a big bore kit and welded crank starts to sound pretty good.
                  I am talking a custom chassis, not the GS. I will build it to accommodate whatever I end up with for power.

Mark

Comment

Yeah but that Gixxer engine won't fit into the GS chassis without some significant work.
                    Err sorry fella you are very wrong there done it at least 4 times so far & helped with half a dozen others, sure theres a couple of issues to sort out but actually fitting the engine is a days work mainly taken up with fabricating 6 brackets

The other bits that usually need attention are, fuel tap, exhaust, & of course the wiring & the bonus is you can 1216 the engine to get 140+ bhp for less that a set of wiseco's, save the extra cash for some head work & say hello to a reliable 160+ bhp

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
                      Which engine would be preferred for a custom framed special - 16 valve 1100 or 1150? And why?

I currently have an 82 1100E andThanks,
                      Mark
                      I wouldn't use both for the age, lack of parts and high expense. As a matter of fact, I would pack up all the GS parts you still have and just send them to me so you don't have to fret about this sort of hard choice.

Hybrid.

Comment

Oops, I guess I missed the part about the custom frame. Tone, as far as doing the Gixxer into a GS I could swear that I saw a post by somebody in Sweden or therabouts who did the swap and had to custom build a tank so that the back corner of the head could clear because it sits up higher than the GS. Can't seem to find the post now, but if you say it's fairly straight forward then I stand corrected.
                        When I start thinking about a custom chassis all I see are $$$$$$$$$$$$$ all over the place. At that point just go with a hooligan setup; crashed modern sportbike with a straight frame of the brand of your choice. The chassis is already built and the engine fits. The rest is cobbling together a straight set of forks and wheels and stripping away the mangled plastic.

Comment

When I start thinking about a custom chassis all I see are $$$$$$$$$$$$$ all over the place. At that point just go with a hooligan setup; crashed modern sportbike with a straight frame of the brand of your choice. The chassis is already built and the engine fits. The rest is cobbling together a straight set of forks and wheels and stripping away the mangled plastic.
                          Well, I want to do my own, in my garage. It's not the money (which isn't that bad), its the time that is hard to find. I already have an 06 GSXR1K, so I don't want another sportbike. I want something that can't be bought...

Tone, how does that 1127 clean up and look with bare, bead blasted aluminum? Got any pics of any you have worked with?

Mark

Comment

There are 1100 cases and such on Ebay right now. Check out the deal from Burbank CA.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If you do an 1100 crank motor, you can use an 1150 cylinder & bore it 3 mill bigger but instead of an 1100 becoming an 1166, you will have a 1229 that still looks stock cylinder. I have these pistons made all the time so I can get you a good price on custom pistons. The GS1150 head would be better than a GS1100 head but a GSXR head on the same bottom end is even BETTER! PM me if interested in details. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X