Tarbash27's 1979 7/11 build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tarbash27's 1979 7/11 build.

I decided to make my own thread about building my bike from the ground up. Its a 1979 GS750L turned into a sporty E model and will have a 1085cc motor. I have been riding this bike for the past 3 years and constantly have been restoring/modifing it. It has made 2 trips to florida and back and it currently has 50,xxx miles on it. Its not fast enough! There is going to be no budget to this build nor deadline. It might take a while since I dont make alot of money but oh well.

I have already bought a donor bike back in june, a 79 gs1000e. Motor came out and fully dissasembled by myself and cleaned every part of the motor. Bought a slightly used 1085 kit from frankenzuki and head which was pretty fresh. Also a set of web cams 110 grind. Crank was sent out to stan gardner and should be back next week.

I was just going to swap motors when the 1085 motor was complete. But I decided to tear down the entire bike. I will be doing all the fabrication myself. I have an 82 GS1100E front end that I will rebuild and put on.

This is my bike when I originally bought it in august of 2005.

This is the bike as of july 2008

This is the bike as of today, september 16th, 2008 sitting next to the donor gs1000 frame

Today I totally de-tabbed the frame. I have to weld on a few new tabs and mock up the 1000 cases to make the new motor mounts. Hopefully this weekend.

I want to paint the frame myself but theres some gouges, grind marks and big scratches. I was looking into that por 15 stuff for the frame. Any suggestions.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2008, 07:07 PM.

79 GS1000E frame left, 42 lbs.
    My 79 GS750 frame right, 35 lbs

Comment

Wow your ride looks like a real deal E. I always wondered what exactly you did to your ride and now we will all get a chance to see.
      I look forward to watching the progress, plus your bike looks alot like mine.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2008, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Got some tabs welded on, need to do some more. I mocked up the motor in the frame so I can start to make some motor mounts. Fits like a glove though. Yes its in my basement.

Also working on a seat pan and rebuilding an 82 GS1100e front end with cartridge emulators to put on this bike. It will have no anti dive. I made block off plates out of 1/4 aluminum plate. More pics later.

Comment

looking good, you get your crank back from Stan yet? Just sent mine out last week? Going staight cut?
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Hurray We got a forum. I got the crank back about 2 weeks ago. Absolutely amazing work by stan. Stayed with the helical gear. Stan has the nicest welds ever. Here's a picture.

He cleaned everything and polished most of the stuff. He also fully oiled everything so its ready to drop in.

In the meantime I am still working on my frame and waiting on my oil cooler to arrive so I can make custom frame mounts before I paint the frame. I made all the mootor mounts for it, pictures later. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from bikbandit, z1 and schnitz.

I also ran into a problem with the lower steering bearing. The GS750 uses a small lower bearing and my 1100 front end has a big bearing along with every other GS. This Im working on in the meantime.

Comment

WOW looking good, mine should show up at his door in the next day or 2.

can't wait to get it back.
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x

Comment

Update.

Got my Setrab oil cooler in the mail today after about a month. They damaged the first one so they had to send a second. Got race tech emulators, new all balls front wheel bearings, swingarm needle bearings, and lower steering stem conversion bearing. Got a bunch more stuff on the way.

I added some pictures of my custom motor mounts to fit the GS1000 motor in, there 3/16 steel plate. Also a picture of my seat pan which I'm cutting leg inserts out. Its so I can keep my feet on the ground easier because the seat pan is so wide and umcomfortable. Also a picture of my GS1100E anti-dive block off plates made out of 1/4 aluminum. And one more thing, I redesigned the rear brake caliper mount but cutting out the excess aluminum in between the ribs, just for looks.

Comment

Comment

Comment

The custom brake caliper bracket because I was bored.

Comment

Looking good!

I am working out my spacers / brkts also.

Ron

Comment

Quick update:
                          Got some more parts in

Ape manual chain tensioner
                          van sant (unbreakable) tensioner guide
                          Ape tool steel wrist pins
                          Falicon adjustable cam gears.
                          Tons of new oem suzuki parts to rebuild the GS1100E front end
                          Progressive fork springs

I finshed all the motor mounts. Motor assembly should start in the next 2-3 weeks. I started on painting some pieces, which I hate the most. I cant stand painting.

Seat pan is almost complete

Need to make oil cooler frame mounts than I can paint the frame.

Im considering buying a dyna 2000 ignition, I have a dyna S now but would like to have the tuneability of the dyna 2000.

Pictures next post.

Comment

Sounds fun, can't wait to see it all come together. I like your brake mount. I might have to try that with my spare.
                            82 Kat 1000 Project
                            05 CRF450x

Comment

I have been doing work on the bike, just not to much posting.
                              Im really excited about my seat I got in the mail today. I bought it off ebay UK and had it shipped here. $130 for the seat, $90 for shipping. But I have been looking for one of these for a while. No rips, just needs some cleaning. I scratched that other set pan idea.

Other than that, I'm prepping the frame, wheels, and small parts to get powdercoated, hopefully next week. Have to get the trans undercut next week. I have been working on an older yoshimura pipe. I made a bigger baffle and modified the can a little. Also working on some other small odds and ends. I have decided to run a shim under bucket setup also on the motor. So I am in the process of gathering these parts.

I also decided I'm riding this bike to daytona bike week, leaving feb 28th. So I have less than 3 months to finish this build. Im working in an 8x8 shed at night and its freezing out.

Here's some picures of the seat.

Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2008, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X