First tweaks to the 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First tweaks to the 750

Big thanks go out again to Mdow (gstwins.com) for the wheels...awesome awesome...

Anyway, started with this:

1981 GS750. She's got some rust, blown seals, iffy brakes, a lot of little things wrong with the dash, but was pretty good to run. First thing I wanted done was brakes and forks. I didn't like the leading axle forks on the '81 but I happened to have a set of Showa bottom-axle forks from my '78 with new seals, progressive springs, and some gadgetry installed that I don't really know how to operate...so I slapped them bad boys on the 81. I went about sticking my GS500 front wheel on her.

First thing, I had to drill and tap the opposed side of the GS wheel (actually a B4 wheel, but should be the same) to take another rotor. I used the rotor for a guide and drilled away. Got her pretty damn true. Then it was just a matter and sliding the GS570 axle through with an assortment of spacers and bolting it up. Had to ditch the speedo drive because it interfered with my new rotor bolts...priorities. I didn't like the old school giant piston calipers so I ditched them..they wouldn't work with the 310mm rotors anyway...and broke out my Tokico 4-piston calipers from my TLS (will be 6-piston calipers next time I go to the in-laws).

The hangers are two 1/4" plates of aircraft grade diamond plated aluminum...from my secret stash of cool metal oh my goodness I'll never likely be able to use. Two stacked on each side. Spacers are needed to affix the calipers to the brackets but it's just stacked washers right now. Not the most ideal setup but it does work and when I get some time on the big lathe I'll whip out some proper stainless pieces.

Hardest part was finding 10mm X 1.25 banjo bolts. No one in town had them. Not a single damn place. Banjo bolts are pretty simple, though, so I made my own. Found some 10 X 1.25 X 30 bolts for $.10 and got a handful. Bored them out 4mm with a 4mm cross-cut then stuck 8mm of the threaded ends into my lathe. I cut a trough around the cross-cuts and cut them down to the needed 25mm and voila! Banjo bolts.

I haven't had much play time with the brakes...they're squishier than I like but I'm used to what was on my CX500 (1/2" master, ss line, single 2-piston tokico caliper). After I get some stainless lines it should get better, but as soft as it is now I don't see how the master would handle my 6-pots. I already have a 5/8" master...we'll see, I guess.

The front end is great! Much better feedback and it's not harsh at all...however, dropping the front over 2" between the wheel and the forks has made the ass end a bit squirrelly...or not really that but it's just more harsh. However, the bike tracks perfect now whereas before taking my hands off the bars meant hysteria.

Next things are sorting out the rear wheel. I need to get some 520 sprockets and a DID roller (yeah...roller...cuz thas how I roll) but other than that the rest is bolt on. From there it'll be some stainless lines and then cosmetic/irritating stuff like the rust in the tank, rust on the headers, and the fact that the when I look at the bike I sometimes don't know whether to ride her or hang dream catchers and rabbit skins from her...

Pretty cool...one of my favorite GS models....looking forward to watching your build progress...

Joe

Comment

thanks joe!

Comment

Working...
      X