shaft drive '82 gs650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shaft drive '82 gs650

so what all can i do to this thing to get more power and it actually worth the time and money?

You'll have to give a little more information to get the answers and suggestions you're looking for. Do you mean to say that its running poorly and you want to restore lost power, or that you're not satisfied with what its giving you even though its running properly?

Comment

4 into 1 pipes (wraped) with indivual air filters. main jets have been takin up a few sizes and the one over stock pilot jets i finally orderd will be here in the next few days. figure that should take care of the carbs.
      over all it doesn't run too bad. i know it's probably gonna need new cam chain, rings, & etc. when i replace the head gaskets soon.

as for what i'm interested in knowing, alot of people keep tellin me that with it being a shaft drive there aren't many things i can really do as far as performance mods that would really be worth what they would give me in power. so is that the case and if it is then what are some i can do that the power gain would be worth the effort. i know it's only a 650 so i don't expect alot even with mods but still, it's my first chop i've built. i fit every thing just for me and i love the way it rides so i don't see me lettin it go any time soon so figure i might as well get what i can out of it in power.

Comment

Apart from what you've done re opening up the exhaust (4 to 1) and intake (pods), and assuming these are well sorted out, can't think of anything you could do motor-wise to boost power, without spending a whole lot of money for a relatively small power increase. There are some tips here on installing a relay to get more spark, but this will not be the type of power increase I think you're asking about. Often the advice here is to sell the machine and buy a bigger one and/or a chain drive model for not much more money.

The 650G shafty is pretty well set up power-wise for its size (72 hp at the crank), but it loses some on its way to the rear wheel through the shaft drive. Owners who like them like the convenience of the shaft, and accept the power-loss as part of the price to pay.

Perhaps others can add further suggestions.

Comment

appreciate the advice man. thats what every body around here has been tellin me but just figured i'ld ask some people familiar with the gs line. i have two other bikes, a 79 xs1100 and a 81 xs650. really for this bike its more the fact that i don't see me gettin rid of it, it's my first chop project and i just got it all fit just right for me lol
          anyway, thanks agin

Comment

Originally posted by kokopelli View Post
            appreciate the advice man. thats what every body around here has been tellin me but just figured i'ld ask some people familiar with the gs line. i have two other bikes, a 79 xs1100 and a 81 xs650. really for this bike its more the fact that i don't see me gettin rid of it, it's my first chop project and i just got it all fit just right for me lol
            anyway, thanks agin
            Glad to help. And if acceleration is your thing, put your time and effort into the XS 1100 (or as we used to say, Excess 1100 ). Use the 650 to go and get parts for it.

Comment

yea, the xs 1100 hundred is fun. i had it on the road for a couple months while i was doin some work on the gs. thing was fast even without 2nd gear lol. soon as i got the gs back on the road i parked it tho b4 i made things worse in the gear box... now i just need to get the money together for it, story of my life

Comment

Okay soooo,

A) pictures of the filters

B) exactly what size main jet...

**ponders**

Comment

The GS650 can be loads of fun. I've had mine for about a year now, and have had no complaints. I've put K&N Pods, 4 into 1, got a Stage III jet kit that needs to be installed, and some rearsets that need to be installed. The GS is a great looking, solid bike. I've made mine into descent little cafe bike and get tons of compliments all the time. It doesn't have a lot of power, but in Chicago, there's hardly ever a time that I can open it up anyways.

I haven't updated this thread in a while, but you can see my bike here:
                  Put any information that you have to make your bike look great in here.

Good luck to you.

Comment

I have owned several 650s and they are very good bikes. There are many things that can boost power. Re-ringing and honing will probably restore some lost compression (if you can restrain yourself and let the rings seat). Since you are removing the head, you can check piston-to-valve clearance and maybe find room to deck the head a little. You should definitely decarbon the pistons and head, as well as lap the valves and change the valve seals. There is also probably a lot of potential airflow increase available in the head. A legitimate head tuner will give you a printout of the cfm increase he achieves. Precisely degreed cams are also an easy source of power increase. Precisely tuned carburation is the icing on the cake that makes it all come together.

Comment

Working...
                    X