84 gs 1150 carb mods ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 gs 1150 carb mods ?

i have a 84 GS 1150 es. it is all stock. as far as i can tell the carbs are stock. the air screws are un caped and re set .
    all i want to do is make it run better cold and remove all flat spotr or surges. the pipes will stay stock and the air box will be retained.
    back in the day we used to raise the needles [ a bunch ] put much bigger jets and run pods on our 82 1100 e. ran great. with the stock pipes and air box i think all i want to do is raise the needles or replace them. how many turns out is a good basic setting on the air mixture screws THANKS

You need to set the mixture screws with the bike idling. You turn them SLOWLY in or out, 1 at a time, till the engine idles the fastest on each carb. After adjusting all 4, turn the idle back down to where it should be & you will be good to go. If you want you could install a Stage 1 Dynojet kit or just ride it the way it is with the stock airbox & pipes. The mixture screw adjustment, when CORRECT, makes a HUGE difference in the engines manners! Good luck, Ray.

Comment

get a dyno jet kit!! stock needles do not perform up to my standards with a washer under there..

the needles in a jet kit are the most valuable part in there!!

a lean idle drop tune on every cylinder and a synchronization procedure will only give you a good idle.

after you slightly open the throttle the bypass circuit comes into activity and this is controlled by the pilot jet..

to get the flat spots out of the rev range as much as possible an increase in the pilot jet may be necessary. while leaving the main jets alone..

95 % of all riding happens in the pilot circuit and needle needle jet circuit..

I like to use a E.G.T sensor for very fine tunning..
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

mine is still too lean , a slight bog at a bout 2200, a larger pilot would probably help( still stock) I have changed main jets and needles and other than the slight stumble it runs great , still does an easy 220 and gets 40mpg most of the time. I'm still sick of pulling carbs and a dyno jet kit would probably have been a better way to go. Idle screws are out about 3 turns...and a 4 to 1 supertrapp. Remember the enemy of good is perfect. Mine runs good.
        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
        X