First Generation GS Rear-Suspension Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Generation GS Rear-Suspension Upgrades

My GS is a '77 GS750 & I'm beginning to research the various methods people have been upgrading their GS's with newer suspension.

At this point, I am leaning towards keeping with the dual-shocks in the rear suspension, instead of going to the mono-shock setup. Although a pair of Ohlins or Works Connection shocks would cost more $ then to convert to an Ebay, OEM Mono-shock setup from a GSXR. I REALLY like the idea of going cheap in $ (newer-bike salvage parts seems to cost way less then old bike salvage parts), but I'm leaning towards the idea of keeping dual-shocks to help keep the bike look more authentic to its era or age.

At this point I'm undecided what swingarm I'll be using, potentially an early 80's GS1100E (aluminum), Bandit 1200, GSXR, non-Suzuki & etc.

My question pertains to the rear suspension.
    Visually, it looks like GS's, after the first generation like mine... early 80's Katana's for example... that their subrames rise up higher in the rear, giving them more clearance between the subframe & rear tire. Or am I wrong in this belief?

I have read that a 180 tire will rub on the subframe when fully compressed (although I am not 100% sold that I need to go as wide as a 180, maybe a 160 on a 4.5" rim would be sweet?)... I presume that the longer swingarms that I mentioned above would help slightly... but with a longer swingarm, I would also need longer shocks to fit in the stock locations, as to keep the swingarm from being pulled up to reach the mount points... causing even more of a height reduction with the 17" versus 18" stock rear rim.

So... to help with rear tire clearance from the subrame, as well as to give the bike a little better "attitude" with a bit more clearance under the rear end above the rear tire... what are my options? I have read how the guys who switch to the mono-shock setup, how they can use longer/shorter dog-bones in their linkage to play with their ride height.
    Would just finding some shocks that were longer, wouldn't that mean that the shocks have longer travel... so then the rear tire would still come up into the subframe because of the longer travel rear shocks allowing more travel?

I have attached an image of my GS as it sits now.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts & opinions.

GSXR Upgrades

I'm just going the 88 4.5" 3 spoke (160/60-18) route with 88 GSXR forks, racetech emulators and springs. Piggy back dual Ohlins on the back with a bandit swinger and a 530 conversion.

This should just improve the ED without radically changing it. Reduced hassle with chain, tire clearance and largely retain the stock look although a little meaner .

Sounds like you an do what you want if you are considering Mono shock conversions.

Look for 80GS1000's link he did a mono shock conversion and Katman is doing Kat and GS1100E conversions and can help. Tone has been there done that as well.

Good Luck.
    Pos
    Last edited by posplayr; 11-23-2008, 09:01 PM.

Comment

520 conversion

520 conversion no frame rub, no tire rub , no shock rub. Katman set me up with this rear..Bandit swinger welded shock mounts and replacement pivot bushings, Bandit rear 180 and brake caliper, Ohlins..Katman is the man..

Comment

In addition to the cost/work/time needed to mod the rear end with updated components, you will need to factor in the changes needed to the front end as well......likely an entire Gixxer set-up, to complete the look, and have radials on both wheels. I was thinking about going this route too, but for now, I bolted a nice pair of Fox shocks on the rear, and called it done.

Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
        X